Changing AC compressor pulley

pauldazzle

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a run down on replacing the AC pulley. Mine has been clattering more & more so I've ordered a new pulley today.
I'll get my trusted mechanics to do the job, but would like to give them a heads up on any likely problems.

havent the foggiest but what was the cost of the pulley?

Pulley cost £80 inc p&p from Autoklima24 on German eBay, which is £60 cheaper than TPS quoted me.

****** hell

I might just turn the radio up instead!!

If the pulley fails completely turning the radio up isn't going to help the situation.:banghead:

calm down I was having a laugh!!

Search leaky Lloyd made a write up I'm sure on a thread about this...

Thanks Mark, I had actually contributed to that thread, but it doesn't really go into any detail on replacement. Will stick it in to get the job done next week, & write a guide as it seems quite common. I've run for nearly 14000 miles with it rattling, it only used to rattle when climate was on econ but its now doing it when the AC is on too so it's time to sort it before it fails.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that with the car up on a 2 post ramp we'll be able to get the compressor off without having to take the front bumper off.

Just had my compressor replaced due to actual compressor failure, pretty sure it's a bumper service position job.

Yes I'm sure that's the case with the V6 engines, but not sure the same goes for the 1.9 PD engines.

I think you could remove the compressor from the mount and do it you can only try first

If it's the same as the Audi A6. Easy job bud. My tensioner was broken, so I couldn't adjust it.

Under try off, you can then get to the compressor. I had to undo the bolts and just release it from the belt that way. You can put it back on this way too. Worked fine. It will then lower down just enough to work on it, use an axle stand to support it. If it's the same, it's a 10mm bolt in the middle. Then you need to pry off the metal cup over the inner pulley. Once that's off, you need circlip pliers to remove the circlip holding the inner pulley. Once that's off, pull off the pulley. Push on the new one, circlip on, outer pulley may need some lube to go back over the rubber. Put some good loctite on the 10mm screw (mine actually came out and the pulley disapeered completely!).
Put the compressor back on, refit undertray. Took me about half an hour.