Bi-xenon moist problems

Wahlstrom

Reaction score
Hi
New to this forum.. From Denmark :)
Ive gotta ask if anyone knows more about moist in the headlights.. Ive done the O-ring fix, filled the mechanism with silicone grease and even added silicone around the plastic front..
Still after a manual carwash the headlight is filled up with condensation...
Ive put silicone grease in every possible crack in the headlight..
And still water enters the headlights...

Im thinking my o ring fix isn't done correctly, but its filled with grease? Even without the o ring, it should be impossible for water to go that way inside..

Anyone with answers?

Have you got all the water out that was in there in the first place?

With the amount of condensation after i gave it a wash, i would say, that water have entered the headlight after my attempt to seal it...

I'll give it one more try tomorrow at work.. Then let the lights dry out on top of a radiator...

Perhaps it might also be the back lid where the ballast is fitted.. The sealing might be insufficient, but that part was also fitted with silicone grease..

Still ****** moist... Ive ordered new backlids for the housing.. The one with the ballast.. Hoping new seal and the ability to use screws to hold it tight(broken off) will help..
If it doesn't help, then Im out of ideas...

No, haven't received them yet.. Washed the car yesterday, and opened the hood after.. The top of the headlight housing was full of water.. And after the trip home, the headlights, again, poof, full of moist! Hate it so much...

My next idea is to make a "roof" of duct tape, so the water won't lay on top if the housing.. Could be the only fix/option left.. I'll be buying some black duct tape though...

It's pretty ridiculous as it's clearly a widespread problem that has been going on for some years now.

I just drilled a couple of 6mm holes in each headlights to allow air to circulate to stop the condensation and to drain any water out.
The holes aren't visible and it has stopped the condensation build up and any water settling in the bottom of the headlamp.
So instead of trying to completely seal the headlamp perhaps you need to try and let the water out

I also drilled small holes in the plastic bulb cover this allows the temp to be the same and shouldn't steam up

Do you actually drill through the glass? Or a plastic cap.

Would taking the cap off allow the headlight to dry for a bit? (providing I don't drive the car during the cap off)

Ive had the headlights off some times now and used a hairblower for like 10 mins each, to warm up the inside..
Ive never had visible water inside the lights, only condensation..
From my firefighter Education we learned that 1liter of water Can turn into 1700liters of steam, when heated enough. Image a few drops of water inside a sealed housing.. And the cold weather outside to really condensate it quickly..
I wouldnt drill holes into mine, as there already is a breather hole in each, originally..
I Think it all comes Down to an insufficient sealing( the backlid) and the o-ring fix...
Some talk of sealing off the original breatherhole, to stop moist air entering the housing.. That could be an idea also..
When the housing has been proper sealed...

Yeah this seems to stem across many vag ranges, many forum discussions etc and people put the bags of silicone gel or drill holes in the rear of the headlight the reason I drill through the rear cover is if I need to replace it ?? It's cheaper to replace the over than the complete headlight lol

I'm currently having the same issues with standard xenons rather than the bi-xenon lights, one of mine mist up when the lights are used in very cold weather, once i park and let it stand they clear through the vents that are there, my passenger one is perfect so that tells me it is a seal lissue rather than any need to drill holes,block vents ect or the standard n/s one would do the same, i have just had a complete set of bulb covers deliverd and will be replacing the ballast seal and also the "O" ring on the indicator bulb holder then all the seals have been replaced and will go from there, there will be a cure for this just need someone to find a solution and we will all be happy,i was very supprised to see the amount of Audi's that suffer this across different forums, but it not just vag, a friend of mine has just changed her BMW alpina thing for a range rover,( the one that looks like an elephant has sat on it), £33,000 9 months old and guess what! misting headlights.

Replaced the back lid today and what a difference.. It was so tight, that I Think it must be sufficient sealed now..
So that is an idea also and together with the O-ring fix it should be sealed sufficient now..

Now I'll be searching for new projectors as my light outcome at Night is very poor..
Here's my projector:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354806111439806

Also wiped the lens clean and now its shiny and clear..
The other(not cleaned) is milky when compared..