Strange noise at startup..

demus

Fire in the hole..
Reaction score
Started up Monday morning and there was a noise sounding like a bearing rattling or something connected with the drive belts. I'm sure that it started when I turned on the rear demist, and stopped about a minute later and been quiet ever since.
I've read things about a clutch on the alternator pulley, any ideas if this is a common thing and if it can easily be checked before it eats itself halfway to work....??
When I get a chance I'll have a closer look at the weekend..

If there is a clutch on the alternator, what is its purpose, can't say as I've come across one before??

the air con compressor pulley can rattle when its starting to wear

I'll try and get it to do it again when I get a chance, I'll check the aircon pulley too... even stranger the Landy done it too on Saturday for a few seconds...

try hitting the econ button the air con pulley should rattle if its that

Landy? is it an old one?

It could be the alternator pulley, i have just done mineeventually they seize adn when you are on full lock trying to park for example they make quite a racket, a chirrup noise on start up is also common when they are failing. New ones from audi depending on model of alternator range from 60 to 90 quid, GSF do them for £30.00 odd, you will need a special tool to undo them as well, be careful that you know whether it's spline or torx on the alternator shaft. Mine was so seized on the shaft i ended up having to angle grind it off!!! Even with the special tool.

I do have a new pulley as in the end replaced the whole alternator, but thats another story!!

Sorry forgot to say it will also eventually shag the ribbed belt tensioner, as i thought mine was toast did that first, wasted my money!!

you can check the alternator clutch with a this screw driver if it moves its fine

No, 2004 mate, keep thinking about an old one thought, V8.....

I have a 1972 series 2A lightweight that could be up for sale but its not something you would want to put a V8 in its worth a pretty penny!!

you can check the alternator clutch with a this screw driver if it moves its fine

I have a 1972 series 2A lightweight that could be up for sale but its not something you would want to put a V8 in its worth a pretty penny!!

I'm guessing when you say check with a screwdriver that its a one way clutch and internals will turn if the belts are still??
What is the purpose of the said clutch out of interest?? edit that.... just done some reading and it all makes sense now..

Sounds like a nice Landy, LandyZone - Land Rover Forum is a good site, some good people on there....

Last edited:
Could also be the Duel mass flywheel.

Mine rattles on start up some times or if my revs dip to low when pulling away.