Cabriolet roofs in winter ?

fallmonk

Turbo Sport
Reaction score
Website
www.filshill.co.uk
Any do's & dont's for cab roofs for winter ?
I bought Auto Glym cabriolet roof cleaner & protector and put it on over the last few months . So am hoping it's "sealed" my first winter with a cab .
I know it's probably a very bad idea to try open roof when freezing cold (not that you would lol)

As long as the roof isn't covered in snow or ice, it's probably safe to open it.

I had an Audi 80 Cabriolet for many years, that had a minimum temperature for operation as the rear plastic screen could crack if it wasn't warm enough.

Saab used to advertise their cabrios driving in snow with the top down - it can be lovely on a crisp winter's day to drive with the top down, the heated seats on, the heater up high and the wind deflector in place.. (I do find that my feet nearly melt though)

On a side note
I put a little slicon grease along the window rubbers, found when its really cold the window dont want to drop to open the door.
Also run a credit card along between the window and bottom rubber before you open

Personally I don't open my roof if its freezing.... But roof down on sunny winters day with heated sears on is fun, especially looking at people's reactions when some cab goes by in winter roof down and they think you are mad !

i get the detailer to protect my roof
and the greese i always use

I tried the Autoglym protector and the roof on my A4 doesnt bead and ust gets sodden. I applied it whilst it was still wet after washing the roof with the Autoglym cleaner. I probably didn't put enough protector on so will try again if it ever stops raining in West Yorkshire! If the second application doesn't work I might try some Nikwax Spray In.

I dried mine a bit before applying by laying an old towel over it so it was just damp

I dried mine a bit before applying by laying an old towel over it so it was just damp

Thats a good idea, supposed to be a dry day today so I'm gonna give it another go. The roof has been sodden for over a week now which can't be good.