Non-functioning key

pbarlow0032

Reaction score
Hi all.
I was told by the seller that the spare key needed a new battery, which I thought "fair enough, got a battery at home". Put the battery in today, put it in ignition to position 2 and held the lock and unlock buttons. I thought this was all I needed to do, but now I'm not sure?!
The key opens the door, starts the car, but won't remotely lock/unlock. Any ideas?

also, the "master" key is missing. If I ever need s new key cut, what do I do? Is there someone I can contact now rather than when I lose my only functioning key!!?

Try putting it in the door, lock unlock and press the button.

Put it in the door unlock manually then press unlock on the fob get in key in ignition turn ignition on press unlock turn ignition off then test the key pretty sure that's how I did mine.

Hi all.
I was told by the seller that the spare key needed a new battery, which I thought "fair enough, got a battery at home". Put the battery in today, put it in ignition to position 2 and held the lock and unlock buttons. I thought this was all I needed to do, but now I'm not sure?!
The key opens the door, starts the car, but won't remotely lock/unlock. Any ideas?

also, the "master" key is missing. If I ever need s new key cut, what do I do? Is there someone I can contact now rather than when I lose my only functioning key!!?

I've got exactly the same problem with my new key trying to code it manually, I've tried doing the key in ignition and door thing and not getting any flashing indicators which I believe they're supposed to flash after they correctly code?

Not a solution to your problem BUT I recently got a key coded at the dealers and was pleasantly surprised they only took £45 to code a key !
(the guy I got the key from a third party wanted £40!, so wasn't to disappointed when he couldn't do it plus got a mini valet of dealers !!! )

Thanks, I'll give that a try then. Anyone know about requesting a new master key?

By "master key" do you mean the plastic blade? If so Audi don't supply these anymore with new cars so you can't buy them. If you want new key just order one from Audi as they cut the key to order based on the key profile that matches your car stored on there system in Germany.

My 62 plate a4 just came with 2 normal keys and one plastic one?

ok tonight i changed batts,tried the method again,tried holding the key turned in the door for 10 secs etc even presing the buttons in the door and its not doing anything, even when i use the remote thats already coded,thats not even setting lights off etc when i try to recode it, it still works anyway but i wanted to try that to make sure my new remote isnt faulty.
are some cars just unprogramable this way and have to be done on vagcom?

I took mine into Audi a few months back and they coded all 3 keys (2 fobs and one
plastic) for £25. I was eexpecting it to cost more but I'm not complaining!! Might be worth giving them a call to see how much they'll code it for

If your just trying to code the remotes try putting the key that works in the ignition and turn it on. Open the drivers window. Now put the key you want to learn into the drivers door lock turn and hold in the unlock position and push one of the buttons. This was the method for older cars circa 2000 year.

If your just trying to code the remotes try putting the key that works in the ignition and turn it on. Open the drivers window. Now put the key you want to learn into the drivers door lock turn and hold in the unlock position and push one of the buttons. This was the method for older cars circa 2000 year.

hi pal yeah thats what i tried and nothing, mines a 2003 though?

Mine's an 03 too. The spare key locks and unlocks in the door lock, and it starts the car too. Tried what was suggested above, but remote lock/unlock still doesn't work.

The "master" I referred to is the plastic dongle type thing, not the plastic valet key. So what do I do, ring local audi garage and see if they can code the remote transponder to the car?