Coilover questions

190sline

Reaction score
Hi guys I think I'm guna go the coilover route. Is there anything I need to buy other than the actual coilovers? Thanks mat.

Your better off replacing the top mounts and bearings whilst its all coming off.

Sorry I forgot to put mine Is a Quattro will that make much difference to anything else I need to buy?

Hi mate, do you really need coilovers? The only reason in my opinion, to get coilovers is they are adjustable. Are you ever going to adjust them? Personally, think a quality damper/spring combo is the way forward. A sh*t set of coilovers will ruin your car! Whats your budget mate?

cheap coil overs are appealing, because they are cheap! better off saving a few more pounds get a proper set of shocks{koni, bilstein} and lower springs{25-40mm} used cheaper coil overs on vw mk4 golf, car handled well, but always get a bumpy ride with them
was never totally happy with them no matter how i adjusted them.
recently put koni sport shocks on a 530d{e60} and its lovely, ride is excellent and the big heavy lump does not bounce around at all.
not cheap, but worth it.

Coilovers allow you to set the ride height exactly where you want it unlike springs and dampers which are obviously fixed. A friend of mine is running Bilstein and Eibachs on his avant and the rear isn't as low as he would like it and there isn't anything he can do about it.
I'm running AP coilovers, which are cheap but the quality and the ride is excellent.