Time for a new steering rack?

Dan TheMan Welburn

Reaction score
Hi all i posted a while back about my stupidity putting brake fluid in power steering resorvoir, well since i flushed it the steering system is working as well as it did before except for a nasty noise when slow or dry steering, its a little hard to explain what it sounds like but its loud inside and outside the car, could this be related to rack or pump or both?

Hiya mate i done two flushes with steering fluid, and then i added lucasoil in hope it would help stop the seals in the rack perishing

What fluid did you use to flush it?
You have to use mineral green power steering fluid, they're some what sensitive to the wrong fluid. I'm sure I said this when VR6Gordy was suggesting you use slick50.

just out of curiosity what happens if you put the wrong fluid in? does it pop the seals and if so how quick?

The fluid i used was i think green, it was given to me by a motor factor, ill have a look in the boot tomorrow as i think i still have one of the bottles,

I was told it wouldnt necessarily happen quickly, but is definately going to happen over time, its my own stupid fault, i just hope the garage doesnt fail my mot over a noise from the steering system, it does work fine, just noisy at slow speed and as i say dry steering, ill try to take a video of the car making the noise in the morning also so you can see what i mean..

does you steering on full lock seem tight if you get me, seems like i am straining the steering on full lock and like you mine make a noise sometimes when i move the steering wheel

When I bought my car it was low on fluid. I put about maybe 100ml/200ml of slick50 in. A year or so later the steering just stopped. Suddenly it started again. The last November it stopped again. Didn't start again though. So I put a new pump in. Fixed. Put in genuine fluid. All good. Till just heading onto the M6 at Junction 36 heading to Chester it burst the end seal out.

Now I'm very wary of the wrong fluids.

sounds like mine but not as bad as that what's is like on full lock while turning slow, does it feel like the wheels are being forced, hope you get what i mean

sounds like mine but not as bad as that what's is like on full lock while turning slow, does it feel like the wheels are being forced, hope you get what i mean

Mine does that

feels like its going to lock up!

It doesnt feel bad on full lock tbh the steering feels completely as it should apart from that, but when it makes that noise i can feel a vibration through the steering wheel and under my feet also, so im not sure what to do,

only 2 things really it can be either the pump or the rack, if it was me i would start with the pump fella