AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
    2nd Gear

Status

Time for a new steering rack?

Hi all i posted a while back about my stupidity putting brake fluid in power steering resorvoir, well since i flushed it the steering system is working as well as it did before except for a nasty noise when slow or dry steering, its a little hard to explain what it sounds like but its loud inside and outside the car, could this be related to rack or pump or both?
    Mods done: interior: Light to dark conversion, To Do: Carbon trim, carpet to be replaced, rear window retrofit. Exterior: Resprayed in Skoda's Rallye Green, 18" RS4 reps fitted, xenons, LED sidelights/NumberPlate lights, B Pillars wrapped in carbon. To Do: Lowering 35mm all round, tints, Tuning: Yet to do exhaust/remap/ egr delete etc..

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    What did you flush it out with bud?
    Atlas Grey A4 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport.
    Mods so far: Cruise control, DIS, Heated Mirrors, Tuning box, Xenonx, Centre Arm Rest, MFSW, RNS-E, SDS and Aero Wipers.
    To do: None yet.
    Next: Auto dip rearview mirror and Folding Mirrors.

2nd Gear

Status
    Hiya mate i done two flushes with steering fluid, and then i added lucasoil in hope it would help stop the seals in the rack perishing
    Mods done: interior: Light to dark conversion, To Do: Carbon trim, carpet to be replaced, rear window retrofit. Exterior: Resprayed in Skoda's Rallye Green, 18" RS4 reps fitted, xenons, LED sidelights/NumberPlate lights, B Pillars wrapped in carbon. To Do: Lowering 35mm all round, tints, Tuning: Yet to do exhaust/remap/ egr delete etc..

6th Gear

Status
    What fluid did you use to flush it?
    You have to use mineral green power steering fluid, they're some what sensitive to the wrong fluid. I'm sure I said this when VR6Gordy was suggesting you use slick50.
    Mods so far: Cruise control, DIS, Heated Mirrors, Tuning box, Xenonx, Centre Arm Rest, MFSW, RNS-E, SDS and Aero Wipers.

5th Gear

Status
    just out of curiosity what happens if you put the wrong fluid in? does it pop the seals and if so how quick?

2nd Gear

Status
    The fluid i used was i think green, it was given to me by a motor factor, ill have a look in the boot tomorrow as i think i still have one of the bottles,

I was told it wouldnt necessarily happen quickly, but is definately going to happen over time, its my own stupid fault, i just hope the garage doesnt fail my mot over a noise from the steering system, it does work fine, just noisy at slow speed and as i say dry steering, ill try to take a video of the car making the noise in the morning also so you can see what i mean..

1st Gear

Status
    does you steering on full lock seem tight if you get me, seems like i am straining the steering on full lock and like you mine make a noise sometimes when i move the steering wheel

6th Gear

Status

6th Gear

Status
    When I bought my car it was low on fluid. I put about maybe 100ml/200ml of slick50 in. A year or so later the steering just stopped. Suddenly it started again. The last November it stopped again. Didn't start again though. So I put a new pump in. Fixed. Put in genuine fluid. All good. Till just heading onto the M6 at Junction 36 heading to Chester it burst the end seal out.

Now I'm very wary of the wrong fluids.

2nd Gear

Status
    Here is the video of the car making the noise, only seems to do it when warm, wouldnt do it this morning,

20121116_153151.mp4 video by dtmwelburn | Photobucket

Ignore the brake warning as my front pads are shot lol, also ignore the clicking from the wheel as i have a new slipring for it and new steering wheel just missing stalks and module to finish that bit

1st Gear

Status
    sounds like mine but not as bad as that what's is like on full lock while turning slow, does it feel like the wheels are being forced, hope you get what i mean

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilb1 View Post
    sounds like mine but not as bad as that what's is like on full lock while turning slow, does it feel like the wheels are being forced, hope you get what i mean
    Mine does that

feels like its going to lock up!

2nd Gear

Status
    It doesnt feel bad on full lock tbh the steering feels completely as it should apart from that, but when it makes that noise i can feel a vibration through the steering wheel and under my feet also, so im not sure what to do,

1st Gear

Status
    only 2 things really it can be either the pump or the rack, if it was me i would start with the pump fella