Fixing blower motor 03 cab

pbarlow0032

Reaction score
In an earlier thread, I asked a question about the centre dash top vent not blowing while all other vents work fine.
someone advised that it is likely that the motor either needs greasing or replacing. Does anyone have any guides on how to do this, or know where one exists? Also, any suggestions on the part number and where I could get it from?
as suspected the garage I bought the car from are being less than helpful....

thanks for any help offered!

Hi, I've read the how to guides, and had a poke around last night, but I was hoping someone could clarify for me. I took off glovebox and I can see the actuators that everyone has mentioned, one with a red thing, one with a green thing, one that just seems to be blue and black.
now, when I have the blower going, if I press the buttons to change from bottom, to centre to top, only one of the actuators seems to move - the black one. I read on the thread that the red one controls the temp? The green one doesn't move at all when I press the demist, which is clearly my issue!
i tried to manually move the flap on the green one but it wouldn't budge (I didn't want to push too hard!). It's mentioned on the other thread to just remove the actuator, but I'm not sure how to do this? There are 2 bolts (6mm??) holding the actuator on, these bolts head in the direction across the car. Should these bolts be removed, and will this allow me to just force the flap open or do I then need to remove the green stick from the black box? Is there a special way to do this?
am I right in saying that its this black box which some people in the other thread have opened up and greased to get working again?

need to get this sorted ASAP as I'm not enjoying scraping ice off the inside of the windscreen!

thanks for any help!

ps I hav a video of what happens when I press the buttons if it is helpful to anyone?

You want the motor attached to the green linkage. Off the top of my head I can't remember how they come off, but I don't think it's tricky to work out. There's a lot of leverage required to move it I think, I'm not sure how easy it would be to do by hand.

P1030626.jpg

Last edited:
When you say just pull it - am I unbolting the black box and then pulling the green linkage off the black box (looks like you would push it towards the driver's side of car?) where the yellow and green bit are joined. Once the green linkage is off the black box, do you then just push the green linkage upwards or pull it down wards?
Sorry if I'm being thick, I just can't fathom it!

easy to remove, remove the 6mm bolts ,the green arms have a tab you squeeze ,then give a pull , off they come.
just taken these motors off 2 A4's , that i'm breaking.
flap motors on ebay.

Hi Renorti - thanks for this! Would the flap then just push up to open for a temporary fix?
How much would you be looking at for one of the motors? PM me if it would break advertising rules on the forum?
Cheers,
Paul

Finally done it - took 15 mins to remove glovebox, remove actuator, push open flap, and then reattach the glovebox.

Just need to follow the guide on how to grease the motor etc to see if I can get it working again. Made a huge difference driving home in the snow tonight, I could actually see!!

Glad you got it sorted. I started mine this morning to get it defrosted and it only took 3 or 4 mins before there were clear bits at the bottom of the windscreen, good test to see how we'll it clears. I almost videoed it lol.

i had a woman in a people carrier behind me this morning, she had mad no attempt to clear anymore than her side if the windscreen, and she had kids in the vehicle too. I almost got out armed with a scraper....

Yes, thanks for the help everyone! I always make sure the outside's clear anyway, I just had a nightmare with the condensation. Decided to do it at lunch time today and as I was finishing, the snow started! Was ****** good in the snow though, can't fault the car!

while I had the glovebox off I realised that the damper for the glovebox hinge wasn't attached to the glovebox flap, so I've took that out too, gonna have a go at fixing that per the guides on here. Massive sense of achievement fixing things yourself instead of paying a garage :)

Most people leave the glovebox damper off, it's too stiff and causes the hinge to fail....