Retrofitting auto dimming rear view mirror..

demus

Fire in the hole..
Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience of retrofitting the said mirror?
I've had one in the cupboard for a while and never got round to fitting it, I found these connections on the vwaudi forums whilst searching, just wondered if it sounds about right?

this is a b6 inputs for the mirror
pin 1 illumination din 58s
pin 2 earth
pin 3 from j519 reverse signal
pin 4 drivers door control unit
pin 5 drivers door control unit
pin 6 j519 then interior light

I'm guessing no need for VCDS either, when I get a minute I'll power it up on the bench and see what happens..

Cheers guys,

Has anyone here had any experience of retrofitting the said mirror?
I've had one in the cupboard for a while and never got round to fitting it, I found these connections on the vwaudi forums whilst searching, just wondered if it sounds about right?

pin 2 earth

I'm guessing no need for VCDS either, when I get a minute I'll power it up on the bench and see what happens..

Cheers guys,

Sounds right.

Pin 1 is switched 12v, 2 is earth.

3 and 6 need hooking up if you want the mirror to un dim when in reverse or the interior light is on.

4 and 5 are not required unless ou are fitting the auodim side mirrors.

i really want to do this to mine, what would i need to purchace?

Last edited:
I Fitted one from a B8 model, the hardest part was figuring out how to fit it to the window as the mount was totally different and i didnt want to buy a new windscreen to get the correct one. Made an aluminum adapter in the end. I got the mirror for 99p on ebay brand new with the wire cover. The wiring was easy i took the feed from the overhead light. I have no intention of fitting the side mirrors or the reverse wire but thats just me. All works great oh and one more thing is that when you see a windscreen that was meant to have this mirror on it has a blacked section on it to hide the visible wires when looking from outside, i simply applied a piece of black stickyback vinyl to the inside of the screen and used a hard roller to remove any bubbles and once the mirror and wire cover are in place i trimmed round it. Looks pretty good

Cheers for the info guys,

Don't suppose anyone knows where this connector J519 is located, sounds as if both the reverse signal and courtesy lighting is on it and no need to run cables from the rear...?

new screen as well

Don't suppose you can do a diagram for the mount you made up can you? I got a b8 one on eBay last week for £10 and have been trying to work out how to mount it

do any of the b7's have auto dim?

do they require programing in or just a case of tapping into you interior light for power?

J

loads of B7 have autodim
just tap the light or get a loom

Don't suppose you can do a diagram for the mount you made up can you? I got a b8 one on eBay last week for £10 and have been trying to work out how to mount it

Il sort a sketch out for you to give you an idea of how i did it, but essentially it was a flat piece of aluminum around 2mm thick and say 20mm square, two opposite sides bent up and around to form a slot, take the claw piece off the auto dim mirror and using the two existing mirror screws and positions fix it to the mirror. Mounting to the screen involved pushing over the existing mount and rotating 90 degrees, it was quite easy once done but just getting things ok was a little fiddly

Don't supppse anyone knows the wire colours from the mirror.. The connector doesn't have any pin numbers on it..

Cheers guys..

Il sort a sketch out for you to give you an idea of how i did it, but essentially it was a flat piece of aluminum around 2mm thick and say 20mm square, two opposite sides bent up and around to form a slot, take the claw piece off the auto dim mirror and using the two existing mirror screws and positions fix it to the mirror. Mounting to the screen involved pushing over the existing mount and rotating 90 degrees, it was quite easy once done but just getting things ok was a little fiddly

Ah brillient thanks, think I know what youean, now to find some metal to cut up!

here you go,
3cc7ad34.jpg

40f2284b.jpg

ba7eb0ae.jpg

72b947e9.jpg

There's some pics of the one I fitted to mine. It came from an A3 this time. (my old A6 got a mirror from a North American Allroad with funky compass and my old S2 got one from a B5 RS4, which all used the same fitting to the screen)

Linky

Hello all,

Need some help with fitting my mirror - as said on here pins for the mirror are as follows;

pin 2 earth

Question is where is j519 located, and which one is reverse signal and which one is for the interior light?

Thanks!