Cabriolet just picked up - a couple of questions

pbarlow0032

Reaction score
Hi All,

Can anyone help before I take my car back to the garage I bought it from, I just want a better brain than mine to confirm that I am not losing the plot! I have 2 issues:-
- on top of the dash, there is what looks to be an air vent/demister in the centre, but no air comes out of it. The only air that comes out of the top vents is at the extreme left and right sides of the dash. Is this right or should the centre vent be blowing?
- temp gauge gets to 90 dead centre after driving for 7/8 miles, but then drops again, then comes back to 90. All other Audis I've had in the past have stayed solid at 90 once temperature is reached. Can anyone offer any help?

The car is an 03 1.8T sport cabriolet.

Thanks everyone for any help,
Paul

Temp should rise to 90 and stay there

As for the air vents, if you using the climate on AUTO mode then it changes what vents are used. If you turn off auto and use the manual buttons for example the arrow pointing up will turn on the top dash vents. The one below that with a pic of a vent will turn on your normal vents and the arrow pointing down will doo your footwell vents.

As for the temp, sounds like it could possibley be a faulty coolant temp sensor, cheap fix at under £10 for the part and about 10 mins to fit.

If you press the 'windscreen' button it will divert the air out through that top vent. If it doesn't the vent motor is sticking and needs greasing/replacing.

Thanks for the replies. I am using the buttons to manually direct the air, but no air comes from the top middle vent, only the left and right side vents. There are sliding buttons on the left and right side vents to stop air coming out of them, but there doesn't seem to be a similar switch for the middle vent (or am I missing something ??!!).
Is it a big job to grease/replace the motor? Does it involve removing the dash or can it be accessed from inside the bonnet?

On the temp gauge side, the garage reckoned they had replaced a temperature sensor before I got the car. Are there any other temperature sensors or are they likely to be talking cr@p?

the vent motor will be stuck or broke
get them to scan it with vcds or to change it
the temp drop sounds like a stat does it get to 90 at a standstill and drop when you drive ?
do u have hot air or warm ?

you get to the vent motor by removeing the glovebox
but if you have only just bought it make them do the work.

Thanks Bez, so not me being thick then, there is no switch to turn off the airflow on the centre vent?
I'll get them to do the work, no fear on that

Thanks Bez, so not me being thick then, there is no switch to turn off the airflow on the centre vent?
I'll get them to do the work, no fear on that

no the centre vent works only from the cc unit no switch.
its a very easy fix but why should you do it let the dealer you got it from.

I've never stood with the car stationery to check this, but it takes probably 15 minutes to get to 90 degrees, then drops, to a quarter reading again, and then comes back up to 90 again within the next mile or so.
I would say the air is hot rather than warm (not sure if this is a good sign or bad?). As stated though, because the centre vent isn't blowing, its hard to tell! Its a pain at the minute as the windscreen is almost impossible to de-mist!

stat or CTS get then to change both.

Hi bez, sorry I'm not remotely technical. Is the thermostat and the coolant temperature sensor 2 different things? The garage definitely said they replaced a sensor as it was lumpy at idle (not sure which sensor this would be). I also don't seem to be getting great mpg (compared to the 1.8tsport cab I had 5 years ago). On a gentle run at 70 on the motorway I got 36mpg the other day, and I'm getting 32 on A/B road 10 mile drive to work, taking it easy. I would have expected better than this, presumably this could be cause by the CTS?
i'm really appreciating the help, can have a proper chat with the garage if I sound like I know what I'm talking about!

thats not to bad MPG for at 18T
yeah the cts and stat or 2 diffrent things
the CTS is a sensor can cause crap starting temp gauge to act weird and bad mpg
have a look on here VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum
see if theres a member close to you to get it scanned

if the fuse was blown the blower wouldnt work at all
theres only 1 blower to run it all
it will be the flap motor stuck

do you get air to the feet and other vents can you hear the blower when you switch the CC on ?

so its the flap motor
pull the glovebox out
and use each setting in turn and watch for the motors moveing
there all a diffrent colour cant rember the colour for the center vent
when you fint the 1 not working remove refit if it still dont work
remove open up and greese
if still no luck replace it.
or make the seller repair it