A4 SE TDI Brakes!??

Dan TheMan Welburn

Reaction score
Hi all, me again! lol, i made sure i done a search on this but all i found about this was for the a3, sooo, here i go, i have a 2002 b6 se tdi 1.9tdi with awx engine 5 speed gearbox, now mot is due in 4 weeks, and i know my brakes are gonna fail, discs have a nasty lip on the rears and barely any pads left on the front (warning is on the dash), so can anyone confirm what the standard disc size is on these? 288 or 312mm? if theyre 288 what would be involved in making them 312? is there any low cost upgrade options for them? im not looking to spend a fortune as im still saving for my respray, etc. i know on a budget i could feasibly do all the brakes for about £80 but im willing to maybe go to 130-140 if its gonna be worth it in the long run?

dont rule out the 280's either with Audi's random spec!!

you need to look on the data sticker really and see what code you have for brakes

Fit a pair of 312 caliper carriers (says 569 on the part) from some 2.5tdi or 3.0 models (not all have them though) and then replace 288 discs with 312 discs. Uses the same size pads as the caliper is still the same

Sweet ill see what 2.5tdis are breaking on the bay, and see if i can pick a pair up in time, id normally get mintex pads from my local motor factor will these be ok? (i do drive aggressive at times)

It'll cost you around £100 for the carriers as many breakers only sell complete with calipers. The discs then are around £60, then add pads. I don't see how you can possibly upgrade within your budget. I'd think just new discs and pads on the front and pads on the rear would run you around £80-90

There some nice 320mm s4 brakes on the bay lol....

the most normal disk size on the 1.9 is the 288 but its simple enough just to get a ruler and have a estimate before hand

The B6 S4 don't std et43 wheels have loads of room the B5 set up you need to faf about with

I can get the lot for £76.99 delivered but as i say i dont know what quality theyll be, the 312 upgrade sounds doable, i wouldnt get them from a breaker, ill get them from a private breaking car, there is a few not far from me