some sh*t keyed door. rough price for repair

lanceneoman

Audi a6 3.0 tdi quattro
Reaction score
Right, i parked my car outside moms house for 20 mins, come out and theres a key mark one about 3 inches and another about 4 inches on my passenger door.

Their not really deep but you can just slightly put fingernail in.

Do scratch repair kits work? If so which one.

Ive asked chipsaway for a quote but they cant do it forages and i really havent got much money at the moment as ive only just bought the car.

All help appreciated.

£100 to £150 to do the whole door I would say.......prep, base, main paint and top coat before mopping after its baked

Chips away dont do a full respray they just fill in the gaps and scratches. I know aston martin use then as my dad is a mechanic there. A full respray fpr 150....well that would look terrible

I used Chips Away on my Fiesta - very pleased with them.
I had a quote yesterday to get some scratches and dents fixed on mine and was advised a rough price is normally £150 per panel.

Chipsaway should be £120+VAT... they did a small puncture hole and two sizable scuffs on my back bumper for £120 and did me a good'un and touched up a couple of small stone chips as a freebie...

Chips away dont do a full respray they just fill in the gaps and scratches. I know aston martin use then as my dad is a mechanic there. A full respray fpr 150....well that would look terrible
I realise that! lol It's just that my wife's car has 1 or 2 little dings in a door that I'd like removed & £150 isn't as high a price as I thought. :)

See if you can find a secondhand door in the same colour.......may be cheaper.

See if you can find a secondhand door in the same colour.......may be cheaper.

that approach is a recipe for disaster... some Audi codes have anything up to a dozen variant shades - I know the Avus Silver (mine) has three....

Chipsaway tape off the section to repair.... sand down and then spray: it was over half a dozen coats of paint and lacquer.... apparently different colours need different numbers of base/lacquer... you CANNOT see where their work starts/finishes, it's seamless with the original bumper.

Photo's are pointless, you can't see the work at all, but I'm happy for people to come and have a closer look at mine (near Wimbledon/Kingston, Surrey).

hi,

I've used chips away for a scratch in the bonnet, somebody scratched a big letter S right in the middle of the bonnet. Took them about 3 hours and they knocked £30 off because they were about 40 minutes late (i didnt ask them to) but they did a brilliant job. once they had polished it up i couldnt see where they had re sprayed. cost me £120.

try fill the mark in with paint and leave it to go hard for a few days then flat and polish

I'm not sure how bad your scratch is, but I recently used a touch-up kit brought from Audi with fairly good results and that was from my first attempt at a paint repair.
I can't remember the cost but it wasn't much. It comes with brush-on paint & clear lacquer. My repair was down to the metal so I used a bit of primer aswell.
Here's what I did, cleaned the area very well and allowed to dry. Used the brush to place some primer into small clean pots (a few small caps would do, I used some old blister packs that disposable contact lenses come in) then used a cocktail stick to paint the primer into the scratch, much easier to control for small repairs/scratches then a brush. Then did the same with the paint. For the lacquer I used the brush. I used 3 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint and 2 coats of lacquer, left the lacquer on for a week to make sure. To sand back, I wrapped a small piece of 800 grit wet&dry round the end of a rubber eraser and lightly sanded back, repeated this with 1200grit to get it smooth with surrounding paint. Then rubbed down with polishing compound to get rid of the scratches, I borrowed some 3M perfect it, I'm sure there's plenty of others.