Quattro question

S23

Reaction score
I'm running staggers wheels on my 1.8t Quattro 8.5f and 9.5r after putting these on the drive feels weird abit shakey , does running different size wheels affect the 4wd system the tyres are 225/40/18

my other thoughts are tracking should I get this looked at ?
Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue similar to this

As above really. Due to having permanent 4x4 you will have a different rolling radius from front to back as the rear tyre is stretched on a wider rim........in short the rear wheels are trying to turn faster than the front

You could get a wider tyre with lower profile to get a close rolling radius as the front but then the grip goes to pot also.

It's good practice to have the same size alloy and tyre all round on a 4x4

Ok thanks guys think in going to for for some bbs lm or just a set of rs4 wheels

I'm running staggered rims on my Quattro 8.5 front and 9.5 rear with 235/35-19s all round and have no problems at all.

I think the theory that you should have all four wheels the same is 100% sound, but .... the difference in rolling radius would be pretty minimal. If your vibration is that bad, then I would look at other issues before rushing out for new wheels.

If the rolling radius is within 5% i think it is, you are fine. So assuming you have the same tyres fitted front and rear but one set with some stretch, I think it's more likely something else causing your problem. The quattro system has no way to know what width the tyres are but the radius can affect it

I run 8.5" and 9" on mine and there are no issues.

thats with the same size tyre allround

Are the tyres you are running new? or part worn as some part worns tyres have tread blocking, ie uneven tyre wear!

There brand new Kenda 225/40/18

if you're running the same tyres f+r then apart from the 'stretch' they're the same rolling radius.

225's on a 9.5 are well outside recommendations tho (i know nothing about the stance and stretch biz tho) which suit 255 or 265's. (7.5" / 8" are a 225 fit)

I have 8" f. And 9" r
same size tyres and its all good
235/40/18

oh do you know if its cool to have 18" x8.5j ET 20
on an A4 B6

225 on a 9.5 rim seems a bit to much to ask IMO... I'd say you need at least need 235's min.... This why is may seem strange

I'd start with having the wheels balanced and check the wheels are centred on the hubs correctly (check there are spigot rings if the wheels require them)

Having run all sorts of quattro's over the last 20 years I have never heard of running staggered wheels on them, I have heard that running wheels of different rolling radius's winds the transmission up eventually leading to a gearbox blow up. the only quattro I ever had with a gearbox problem was one that had previously been driven with odd sized on, (mot failure sheet to prove) not long after the box blew.

I wouldn't use odd sized tyres or staggered rims, Audi don't either!