hi, few problems and opinions please

lanceneoman

Audi a6 3.0 tdi quattro
Reaction score
Hi all,

Ive been using an Audi forum site for around 3 days now, only to realise everyone on there is American.

I own a 2004 A4 Avant 1.8T S-Line quattro with 92k miles on the clock. Paying £5500 for garage.
It has Full service history and has had a cambelt and waterpump at 68k Miles.

I cant explain how happy with the car i am, until yesterday when i was on the motorway. I was doing about 60mph, put foot down and it vibrated at the rear. Anyway i quickly swapped the rear wheel with the front and no vibrations so i need a new tyre i guess. The weird thing is it on vibrated when putting foot down hard , if you let of the peddle it stopped.

Also, when turning a corner to the right at above 20mph, the a knock on the N/S front wheel, only started over past day.

The car came with 235/40/R18 wheels, which im not sure would be standard.

Also an iPod lead in glove box which works well.

It has a audi Synphony 6cd Audi system, but im think of changing it for a Audi sat nav one but they are over £350 used so not 100% on that.

Anyway ive added some pic and let me know what you think, and any info etc high appreciated. Thankyou

Welcome to audi-sport, lovely motor you have bought there, your vibrations could be a few different things bearing/balancing etc when you swapped them over were the wheel nuts tight enough?

Well firstly hello and welcome to the best audi forum in the UK... LOL... Tyres can be a big part of the vw world in part of road noise and tram lining when the tread starts to get low but vibration doesn't sound like a tyre unless there proper cheapo crap which are out of shape, 235/40/18 are the original size in your model m8..... This could be the case if its now cured the vibration, generally don't use non named tyres and you will be fine... As for the knocking could be the pads in the calliper, anti roll bar could be any suspension component needs checking properly but if your not happy then take it back to the garage.....

The common fault with vibration could be the dual mass flywheel but that generally comes through the gearbox, as you have a mapped 1.8t this could be the case....harsh maps can make them chatter/vibrate my diesel done exactly this

im not 100% sure if it as been mapped, it is just what the garage said the previous owner said.

The tyres are eagle f1 on rear, look new and bridgestone on front all look similar wear.

Im taking in tomorrow to the garage who do the repairs, who are going to have a look.

But other than these niggles, i love the car. its such a proper car which the comfort, and the power and look amazing.

thanks for the replies folks

Well std power would be 190hp for a 1.8t s line that's why I said it had been remapped and having named tyres and good ones seems strange your getting a issue with them