Brake bulb dash warning error

Mollygoogle

Reaction score
I am getting an intermittent warning on the dash to say that the drivers side brake light is out. SWMBO has followed me in her car and said that the light is out when the dash warning displays. However, at other times the light isn't out and I don't have the dash warning.

I checked the bulb and it is fine, but I replaced it anyway just in case. The bulb holder and the wiring from the bulb holder to the car body are fine.

I suspected water ingress as in the past someone has damaged the two rubber retainers that hold the rear light assembly in place so that it is not held snugly in. But, I have checked the assembly over thoroughly and there is no sige of any damage or of any water.

Any ideas?

Can only think there is a bad connection somewhere, make sure the contacts in the bulb holder are good. You don't have a towbar fitted do you?? Reason for asking is my rear lights randomly started flashing and flickering while waiting for a friend one morning, it was dark and I noticed them in the mirror, turned ignition on and lights on, then off and all was fine.. Cut a long story short, the monkeys that fitted the towbar had put those hateful scotch-lock connectors everywhere, then decided to remove them as they were on the wrong wires!! leaving bare breaks in the wiring!!! c@cks!!

Nope, no towbar. I've checked the contacts within the holder and they're fine. Might have to start tracing wires within the car itself

could be the brake swich !

I have considered the brake switch, mainly because it is listed on the FAQ/How-to's. Would it cause this fault on only one side?

I had this warning on mine along with the ABS light, took it to my local VW dealer and they put it through the diagnostics, which cleared all the intermittent faults, but there was nothing actually wrong with anything!