Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Results 1 to 28 of 28
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ian-83

Thread: Air Con wont turn ON !

  1. #1
    Rays18's Avatar
    East Tattoo

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.Ireland
    Posts
    41

    Air Con wont turn ON !

    Ok so this has happened the past couple of days.
    Start the car turn on heating (doesnt matter what temp) the air con stays on the duration of the drive to work around 20 mins. You press the air con button but it doesnt go off. Go to work, have lunch around 3/4 hours later. Air con button will now work as it should.

    Any ideas?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,698

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    What do you mean it doesn't go off?

    If the ECON light is ON the AC is OFF.

    Are you saying that by pressing the ECON button to turn the AC off the light won't come on?
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  4. #3
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,931
    Even with the ECON on or off it should still heat up to set temp
    my econ is always off so AC on and i get red hot heat at high temp setting.
    your stat may be sticking open.

  5. #4
    Rays18's Avatar
    East Tattoo

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.Ireland
    Posts
    41
    Sorry I got a bit mixed up with my words.
    The light will stay on (red) and when you press it will still be red.
    You can only choose to turn it on or off after a few hours. :S

  6. #5
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,698

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    If the ECON light stays on that indicates the compressor isn't actuating, hence the AC isn't working.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  7. #6
    AlexGSi2000's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    1,068
    Has the weather been cold there for the past few days?
    Reason being is that I believe the Air-con wont turn on if the ambient temperature outside is low (cant remember what the temperature threshold is)
    If you try on your lunch - maybe the temperature has warmed up a few degrees outside?

    If the red ECON light is on then it means Air-Con is off "economy" - if the ECON light is off then aircon is on.

  8. #7
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,698

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    It's 5C from memory. Either way, the ECON light should remain off.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  9. #8
    Rays18's Avatar
    East Tattoo

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.Ireland
    Posts
    41
    I guess its down to the cold months coming in.
    It only started like I said a few days ago.

  10. #9
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexGSi2000 View Post
    Has the weather been cold there for the past few days?
    Reason being is that I believe the Air-con wont turn on if the ambient temperature outside is low (cant remember what the temperature threshold is)
    If you try on your lunch - maybe the temperature has warmed up a few degrees outside?

    If the red ECON light is on then it means Air-Con is off "economy" - if the ECON light is off then aircon is on.

    Are yous 100% sure on this because anytime my aircon was off, my light was off. I clearly remember anytime i wanted to turn it on, hit the button, red light came on and really cool air blew out of my vents.

    Im having same problem with my aircon, my red light is constantly on and i can hear the AC on when i stop with the engine on. I was thinking the mechanic balls my AC up after putting a 2nd hand head into my car.

    OP, when you turn the reds on your car, does your AC red light not go on even when you turn heating on. If so, this is what mines is doing and when i start car, the red light comes on.

  11. #10
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,931
    not sure if you know how the CC unit works on the A4
    but you can have a/c on low then turn heat up and you will get heat
    as alex said above econ light on ac off
    econ light off ac on
    but you will get full heat with econ light on or off.

  12. #11
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,931
    Quote Originally Posted by mrxireland View Post
    Are yous 100% sure on this because anytime my aircon was off, my light was off. I clearly remember anytime i wanted to turn it on, hit the button, red light came on and really cool air blew out of my vents.

    Im having same problem with my aircon, my red light is constantly on and i can hear the AC on when i stop with the engine on. I was thinking the mechanic balls my AC up after putting a 2nd hand head into my car.

    OP, when you turn the reds on your car, does your AC red light not go on even when you turn heating on. If so, this is what mines is doing and when i start car, the red light comes on.
    ]

    you either need a regas or a sensor get it on vcds and get codes
    tou have a head fitted the mech could have removed the ac pipe and lost the gas

  13. #12
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    ]

    you either need a regas or a sensor get it on vcds and get codes
    tou have a head fitted the mech could have removed the ac pipe and lost the gas
    Im now really confused because i honestly thought my aircon was constantly on because i couldnt turn this light off. With this thread now im scratching my head. So yous are telling me that ive always been driving with my air con on because my red light was always off. Another reason thou why i was thinking it was constantly on after i got my car back was that it was eating the petrol more so now than before i gave it to him.

  14. #13
    Broken Byzan's Avatar
    Photographic Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,354

    My Social Networking

    Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    econ light on = no aircon
    econ light off = comperssor on and aircon on, consuming fuel, but drying the air and keeping the windows clear.

    Aircon will not turn on if the temp is around 5 degrees or below, needs a regas, or has a faulty component.

  15. #14
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,698

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Round and round and round and round and round ......
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  16. #15
    Rays18's Avatar
    East Tattoo

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.Ireland
    Posts
    41
    So confused hahaaa.
    I was told when I bought the car the air con was on unless you press econ button thus turning red light on.
    But after a few days I thought it was the other way round as you could hear the air con motor switching/turning on.

    God I dont know now.

  17. #16
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,698

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    We know!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rays18 View Post
    I was told when I bought the car the air con was on unless you press econ button thus turning red light on.
    THAT is correct.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  18. #17
    pauldazzle's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    549
    Econ red light on = AC is off
    Auto red lights on & Econ light off = AC on
    Off switch red light on = Econ + AC are both off.
    A4 Avant B6 1.9 TDI 130 Sport (6) Moro Pearl Blue, GMBH S Line Kit, Decat pipe, 165bhp remap, EGR delete, Dunlop SP Max, Full Leather, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Bose, Audi phone prep, Cooled Glove Box, Rear privacy glass, Rear parking assist.
    2003 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR in Lima green.

  19. #18
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldazzle View Post
    Econ red light on = AC is off
    Auto red lights on & Econ light off = AC on
    Off switch red light on = Econ + AC are both off.


    Why did audi have to go and do a thing like this,lol. Anyone with common sense would think that if you wanted something on, you press the button and the light would come on to tell you that what ever is is you wanted on, is on. Ive been driving my car with the aircon on everytime ive been driving it because i always had my light off. I never felt the cool air thou but as you say above, i musting have had auto on aswell. Im wondering now why my car is burning so much petrol now because i honestly thought it was the AC doing it.

  20. #19
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    202
    I got a suggestion here................do the un-bloke thing! Read the manual for the car. Explains how it all works.

    If the ECON light stays on all the time then it's a fault in the system. You should be able to operated it on and off even below 5 Celsius the only difference is the car see's the outside temp and won't run the AC compressor if it's below 5 Celsius regardless how you push the button as it over rides the system till the outside temp warms up.
    mrxireland likes this.

  21. #20
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldazzle View Post
    Econ red light on = AC is off
    Auto red lights on & Econ light off = AC on
    Off switch red light on = Econ + AC are both off.
    You don't have to have Auto turned on to have the Air con on. All auto on means is the AC control unit controls fan speed and air direction flow to maintain the temp you set on the AC unit.

    If you manually set full fan speed at feet at "low" setting the AC will be on blowing cold air at your feet. Push auto and it regulates the temp in the car by air direction and fan speed.

  22. #21
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by mrxireland View Post
    Why did audi have to go and do a thing like this,lol. Anyone with common sense would think that if you wanted something on, you press the button and the light would come on to tell you that what ever is is you wanted on, is on. Ive been driving my car with the aircon on everytime ive been driving it because i always had my light off. I never felt the cool air thou but as you say above, i musting have had auto on aswell. Im wondering now why my car is burning so much petrol now because i honestly thought it was the AC doing it.
    Audi did it so you drive around with the AC always working which lubricates the compressor and seals of the system so the AC system won't leak as much as if you constantly don't use the AC. Then when the hot sun comes out you find the AC has leaked the gas and doesn't work!

    AC should also be serviced every 2 years regardless if it still works or not as due to the pipes and seals being rubber they naturally breathe over time and slowly gas escapes reducing the efficiency of the system.

  23. #22
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian-83 View Post
    I got a suggestion here................do the un-bloke thing! Read the manual for the car. Explains how it all works.

    If the ECON light stays on all the time then it's a fault in the system. You should be able to operated it on and off even below 5 Celsius the only difference is the car see's the outside temp and won't run the AC compressor if it's below 5 Celsius regardless how you push the button as it over rides the system till the outside temp warms up.
    Well i must have a fault because when i press the econ button, the light is always on uless i keep my finger on it and even at that, when i keep my finger on teh button for about 30secs, the red light comes back on. Can you tell me what kind of faults would cause this light to be constantly on.

  24. #23
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    N. Wales, LL22
    Posts
    1,224
    just leave it in auto all the time, only touch the temp
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

  25. #24
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by mrxireland View Post
    Well i must have a fault because when i press the econ button, the light is always on uless i keep my finger on it and even at that, when i keep my finger on teh button for about 30secs, the red light comes back on. Can you tell me what kind of faults would cause this light to be constantly on.
    You can have several faults but could be a faulty pressure sensor, no gas in the system or a fault with the AC compressor.

  26. #25
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,931
    god its still here

  27. #26
    quattrojames's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    13,698

    My Social Networking

    Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by mrxireland View Post
    Why did audi have to go and do a thing like this,lol. Anyone with common sense would think that if you wanted something on, you press the button and the light would come on to tell you that what ever is is you wanted on, is on. Ive been driving my car with the aircon on everytime ive been driving it because i always had my light off. I never felt the cool air thou but as you say above, i musting have had auto on aswell. Im wondering now why my car is burning so much petrol now because i honestly thought it was the AC doing it.
    I've not known anyone get quite so confused about it before!

    ECON means 'economy mode'. When economy mode is on, the light is on. Simple.

    If you need to hold the button down to stay in economy mode, then as mentioned you have a fault. I suspect with the timeout symptom you mentioned its probably just low on gas, but its easy enough to get it tested.

    I never turn my aircon off, the whole HVAC system was designed to have it on all the time, and its much more efficient to do so. If I was worried about economy I wouldn't have bought a 6 cylinder quattro car.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

  28. #27
    pauldazzle's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    549
    Regas gets my vote!
    A4 Avant B6 1.9 TDI 130 Sport (6) Moro Pearl Blue, GMBH S Line Kit, Decat pipe, 165bhp remap, EGR delete, Dunlop SP Max, Full Leather, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Bose, Audi phone prep, Cooled Glove Box, Rear privacy glass, Rear parking assist.
    2003 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR in Lima green.

  29. #28
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,931
    close thred gets my vote !

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Air vents smelly particularly after turning air con off.
    By Graham89 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 6th August 2012, 09:33
  2. Climate Control Unit - Turn Air Con off? HI/LO display?
    By Poke13 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21st December 2011, 11:55
  3. Air con problem wont turn on ?
    By L3WJX in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 29th November 2010, 18:31
  4. 1.8 T Sport, Noisy Air-con ????
    By jiffi77 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30th April 2004, 14:23
  5. Air con cleaner???
    By stumunro in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24th April 2003, 13:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO