BURNING SMELL?? 1.8t

Bean5

D5_SNS
Reaction score
hi guys, just wondered if any one could help me or experienced a similar thing? (i have searched the forum) but just comes back with clutch or brake pads.

i was doing a fair bit of running round in my car last weekend so it was fairly hot when i noticed a burning smell (plasticy) i mainly noticed it when i stopped or got out or back in the car...after inspection with a mate we noticed that a wiring loom running paralelle quite close to what i presume is the downpipe/cat(??) looked to be asif it were melting the outer core (PICS TO FOLLOW)

let it cool over night and run it all week and kept an eye on it...on a longer journey say 15-30 mins the smell was back from the same area...

rang audi this eve and they said would need to have an inspection for diagnosis at £90 per hour etc...to which i replyed well "IF" this is a design flaw surly i should be covered on some warrenty reguardless of the age of my car (2004) after i refused to pay them £90 per hour to just stand and look at my car (wouldnt mind if they were gonna fix it for £90) the call soon ended. (helpful stafford audi, as per usual...not all audi owners can aford their rediculous inspection charges)

can any body enlighten me on my situation...

much appriciated....please will the usual unhelpfull cretins with sarcastic coments that ruin this forum kindly keep their comments to them selves ;-) thanks

Unfortunately I am in able to zoom and crop the picture but you should be able to see what I mean

6B368FB8-ADD0-42D3-B59B-56A0B91DCB8A-2845-000000E733F04AFA.jpg

the lower wire ?
looks abit to close cant see that wire on my 18T
id see if you could get under the car and tie wrap is away from the downpipe.

Ye I did think about that mate, it looks closer than it is on that pic, which is why I couldn't understand it melting. Luckily it hasn't gone too far it's only the outer loom casing!

I had the exact same thing the other day, when I popped the bonnet I saw little blooms of smoke but couldnt identify where from

I just put it down to excess sealant from the sump from when I did the oil pickup and ignored it but will have to delve deeper in to it now and check this

I had the exact same thing the other day, when I popped the bonnet I saw little blooms of smoke but couldnt identify where from

I just put it down to excess sealant from the sump from when I did the oil pickup and ignored it but will have to delve deeper in to it now and check this

ah right, please do get back to me with what you find!! cheers dubbers