A4 B6 Avant 2.5TDI Quattro Oil around rear diff, Possible prop shaft seal leak ?????

Bobbytwoshoe

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Got an S Reg A4 B6 Avant 2.5TDI Quattro

I recently had Dean from 4 Rings come to my place to check it over and fit new discs and pads all round

Whilst the car was jacked up he saw a small bit of oil/fluid leakage around the rear diff area, he said it was slightly worrying and if it was his he would probably check it out in more detail. He said it could possibly be a leaking prop shaft input seal.

Can anyone shed any more light on this issue and should I be looking to get something done about it?

Thanks!

worrying? no not really. if its not leaving drips on your drive its of no concern. next time its serviced ask them to check the diff oil level and top up as required.

the drive flange seals are relativly easy to change tho (the drive shaft needs removing) bob the drive flange off and there it is.
if its the input flange then its more difficult cus to change it it means removing the prop and when you remove the input flange your effecting the preload on the pinion bearing.

S reg B6?

Let me know which model you have and I'll move it to the right section.

Thanks for the info Murran,

It's not leaving any drips on the drive,

Was gonna book it in next week to investigate it further and get it sorted, Do you think it's not worth the bother right now then?

Will prob have it serviced properly again next spring, maybe just leave it till then and mention it again at that point?

its worth them checking the level tbh (once on a ramp its 5 minute job undoing the 17mm allen key level bung and poking your finger in) if they find its ok and its just an oil sweat/dampness and not dripping.... then id leave it tbh. could easily do 10k and the condtion of it not change.