Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bez101

Thread: Audi a4 2001 1.8t avj . Serious problem!

  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14

    Audi a4 2001 1.8t avj . Serious problem!

    Ive an audi a4 1.8t 2001 model and engine code is avj and head gasket went on it a few months ago. I sent it into a garage here locally to look after it, they fixed it up again with a new gasket kit etc.. but never got the head pressure tested and in a matter of weeks the car was in worse state because the head was cracked.

    He told me the reason why he didnt get it tested is that where he gets them skimmed, he was told theres no need because they never crack . Ive been trying to get a new head or engine for few months now and have been told that they are impossible to get and anyone who has been breaking same car, have had same problems as me.

    The garage looking after my car tried to fit an A6 1.8t engine into it but it wouldnt fit(forget reasons why it wouldnt) but they have took the head off and fitted it onto mine as its a straight fit apart from the egr.

    HE showed me exactly what was different and on the avj engine(mine) theres a hole running into it right behind the egr thou when he stuck a camera down it, the hole didnt really go anywhere or conected to anything. On the A6 head the egr doesnt have the hole behind it running into the engine thou its an exact fit so hes put this head in to see if itll work.

    Is there anyone on here who knows anything about this. I am not familuar with cars so thought id pop in here to see if this can be done because i wouldnt want this to be fitted and a few weeks/months down the line the engine seizes.

    I dont even know what an egr is or what it does so can anyone on here confirm would this be a major problem for my car.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,474
    true very very hard to get
    i know theres another few heads that will fit cant rember the codes
    ill see if i can get them for you
    mrxireland likes this.

  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    true very very hard to get
    i know theres another few heads that will fit cant rember the codes
    ill see if i can get them for you

    That would be great, cheers. Do you know anything about this hole running into the head right behind the egr.

  5. #4
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,474
    yes sort of i had it aswell a few years ago can you rember what was is bolted to the hole ?

  6. #5
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hull
    Posts
    1,440

  7. #6
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,474
    nice 1 stu saved me a search mine had the BFB fitted to it just found the invoice
    and a very good price for a new head

  8. #7
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14

    Was wanting something reconditioned or 2nd hand. Cant really afford £375 just now. At a guess what would be teh cost of postage for one to ireland. What weigth would it be

  9. #8
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,474
    Quote Originally Posted by mrxireland View Post
    Was wanting something reconditioned or 2nd hand. Cant really afford £375 just now. At a guess what would be teh cost of postage for one to ireland. What weigth would it be
    well with the info you have from the listing you can search for all those codes
    im sure there will be a sh knocking around somewhere
    around 125/200 range.

  10. #9
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    well with the info you have from the listing you can search for all those codes
    im sure there will be a sh knocking around somewhere
    around 125/200 range.
    £125 sounds ok for it . I dont really know how to use the ebay to be honest.

  11. #10
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,474
    best thing to do is write all the codes down and ring round a few audi breakers
    easy

  12. #11
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    best thing to do is write all the codes down and ring round a few audi breakers
    easy
    Ill do this all week thou im wondering will what the mechanic has done will be ok.

  13. #12
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Ive just recieved my car back and took it for a 20mins drive and although it feels like ok driving i did notice that when first exhilarating it didnt respond as i thought it would. Ive been driving a wee fiesta for a few weeks and the peddle is really hard on them compared to the audi so im wondering is this the cause. Im also getting some white smoke out of both exhausts thou the mechanic has told me this is due to the water build up in the exhaust from the gasket problems i had. Would this be right or am i getting pammed of with a bad job.

  14. #13
    pauldazzle's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    634
    Any water in the exhaust should evaporate quickly once the engine is upto normal operating temperature.
    A4 Avant B6 1.9 TDI 130 Sport (6) Moro Pearl Blue, GMBH S Line Kit, Decat, 165bhp remap, EGR delete, K&N panel, Dunlop SP Sport Max, Full Leather, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Bose, Audi phone prep, Cooled Glove Box, Rear privacy glass, Rear parking assist.
    2003 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR in Lima green.

  15. #14
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldazzle View Post
    Any water in the exhaust should evaporate quickly once the engine is upto normal operating temperature.

    Ive no thermostat in my car at teh moment, need to get one. will this have any effect on the temp ? and when you say evaporate quickly, how quick do you mean. Ive drove it 30 miles now and the white smoke is still there. Ill be taking it for another 15mile run in a few hours, will that be enought to get rid or will it take a week or two. You see i have it in for an NCT (mot in uk) in 2 weeks and hope it wont fail on the emissions test because of this.

  16. #15
    pauldazzle's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    634
    Yeah you need to get a stat in as the engine will only get to up to normal operating temp with a stat in.
    I would expect any water to evaporate quite quickly if temp gets up to 90C.
    A4 Avant B6 1.9 TDI 130 Sport (6) Moro Pearl Blue, GMBH S Line Kit, Decat, 165bhp remap, EGR delete, K&N panel, Dunlop SP Sport Max, Full Leather, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Bose, Audi phone prep, Cooled Glove Box, Rear privacy glass, Rear parking assist.
    2003 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR in Lima green.

  17. #16
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    I brought the car back to the mechanic to have a look at it. He stuck it into the hand help computer and its reading that the air flow meter isnt working. He's told me to get a new one along with a new thermostat housing unit. Can anyone tell me was these problems im having have something to do with the egr being slightly different. I dont really want to be buying a new airflow meter if theres no need for it really because its the egr that is faulty. Could this computer read something different than what the real problem actuly is. The reason why i ask this is that last year when i started getting gasket problems i took it to a different garage and he stuck the computer in and it read the cat wasnt working properly thou when i got the gasket fixed, there was no probs with the cat.

  18. #17
    pauldazzle's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    634
    Both the AFM & stat housing are fairly common failures. VCDS/Vagcom is by far the best for diagnosing problems on VAG cars, & I wouldn't really trust anything else.
    A4 Avant B6 1.9 TDI 130 Sport (6) Moro Pearl Blue, GMBH S Line Kit, Decat, 165bhp remap, EGR delete, K&N panel, Dunlop SP Sport Max, Full Leather, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Bose, Audi phone prep, Cooled Glove Box, Rear privacy glass, Rear parking assist.
    2003 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR in Lima green.

  19. #18
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldazzle View Post
    VCDS/Vagcom is by far the best for diagnosing problems on VAG cars, & I wouldn't really trust anything else.

    I dont understand what you mean by this. Can you also tell me would the mechanic have touched the air conditioning in my car when putting the head back in. The reason why im asking this is because hes told me that he never touched the air conditioning so it isnt really his fault why im having these problems with not being able to turn the air conditioning off. It wasnt like this before he got it so he must have done something wrong with it

  20. #19
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,474
    he may have removed a AC pipe when doing the head
    looks like you have something unplugged or you need a regas
    and a mechanic that knows what he is doing

  21. #20
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    he may have removed a AC pipe when doing the head
    looks like you have something unplugged or you need a regas
    and a mechanic that knows what he is doing

    What do you mean when you say regas?

  22. #21
    pauldazzle's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by mrxireland View Post
    I dont understand what you mean by this. Can you also tell me would the mechanic have touched the air conditioning in my car when putting the head back in. The reason why im asking this is because hes told me that he never touched the air conditioning so it isnt really his fault why im having these problems with not being able to turn the air conditioning off. It wasnt like this before he got it so he must have done something wrong with it
    VCDS/Vagcom is a VAG (VW Audi Group) specific diagnostic program & cable that runs on Windows PC.
    I'm not sure if the AC needs disconnecting to remove the cylinder head.
    A4 Avant B6 1.9 TDI 130 Sport (6) Moro Pearl Blue, GMBH S Line Kit, Decat, 165bhp remap, EGR delete, K&N panel, Dunlop SP Sport Max, Full Leather, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Bose, Audi phone prep, Cooled Glove Box, Rear privacy glass, Rear parking assist.
    2003 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR in Lima green.

  23. #22
    pauldazzle's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by mrxireland View Post
    What do you mean when you say regas?
    Without getting too technical the AC system requires a refridgerent gas. Over time gas can leak out through the system seals so the system can be refilled with gas as need be. Usually if the gas needs replenishing the AC will not work, & only Econ setting will work.
    A4 Avant B6 1.9 TDI 130 Sport (6) Moro Pearl Blue, GMBH S Line Kit, Decat, 165bhp remap, EGR delete, K&N panel, Dunlop SP Sport Max, Full Leather, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Bose, Audi phone prep, Cooled Glove Box, Rear privacy glass, Rear parking assist.
    2003 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR in Lima green.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Audi A3 2001 speedo problems
    By maaqib in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15th June 2012, 21:49
  2. Serious problem with engine AVJ
    By sebastiannn in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30th March 2012, 23:45
  3. Audi s3 2001 electrical problems :(
    By Fige18 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th November 2011, 21:51
  4. i have an audi a4 t 2001 with electric radiator fan problem
    By sorin32 in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30th October 2009, 13:35
  5. Audi a4 2001 glove box mounted cd changer
    By belton in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th July 2004, 17:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO