Stereo volume problem

Greeny233

It's all about the V8.
Reaction score
Well the dreaded happened today, went to turn volume on stereo up and it dropped to 4 instead, is there any fix or do have to replace the head unit like I did in my B5?

It's the Audi Symphony.
Since it's a B6 it's almost certainly a Symphony II and not a Symphony I.

AFAIK the EEPROM burn out problem doesn't exist in the Series II radios, at least I've never heard anyone else comment about it.

Hi, my symphony stereo does the same :( If I put a bit of pressure on the volume knob so that it is at a bit of an angle it works fine.

Same here.. Mine goes down when i try turning it up.. I have to pull the button out slightly to get it to go up properly
Seems like a few people have the same issue..

Mine is the same, i have to do what mike and scott do.

Mine is the same, i have to do what mike and scott do.
That's a different issue to what Greeny233 was thinking - where on the Series I radios, as used in the B5, every time you moved the volume control the new setting was written to the EEPROM which as it only has a limited number of writes eventually died.

Greeny233, no you don't have to replace the head unit like on the B5. But there may be a different problem here with the shaft encoder on the volume control...

thanks for the replies Guys, it's only done it once so far, so fingers crossed it'll be ok until I can afford a double din conversion and a descent aftermarket touch screen/satnav.

Same thing on my 8p! haha thought it was just me. Starting to drive me mad now