A4 2.0 FSI fault codes. Help!!

mikeallington

Reaction score
Hi, I have seen quite a few similar issues posted with the 2.0FSI AWA engine. Basically it does not idle very well and it sometimes seems to misfire at about 2000 RPM occasionally. I have plugged in and got the following repeat faults:

16698 - misfire(s) detected single (unspecified) cylinder P0314-001 intermittent
16712 - knock sensor 1 (g61) P0328-001- signal too high - intermittent
17927 - camshaft adjustment; bank 1 P1519-008- malfunction intermittent

The car also sounds quite tappety at tick over. One mechanic suggested that the tappets may be starved of oil because of a blocked oil pick up in the sump. The car does not display any oil pressure warnings though.
i have used the car to drive a 300 mile round trip this weekend and when cruising along the motorway it feels perfect and returned a health 37mpg.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I have got a bit further with this but still not resolved the 16698 misfire fault.
Any suggestions for this one fault code?

Hi ihave someting similar that code 16698 could be coil packs mines is going into audi for recall. worth calling your nearest dealer to see if theres a recall. you get free car to use

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I have replaced the coil packs and the fault persists.
I have plugged in with a VAG-Com tool again and whilst on tick over there is a constant misfire on cylinder 2.
Spark plugs and coil packs have been changed and swapped about but the misfire is always present on number 2 cylinder.
When the car is a sat ticking over there is a constant white smoke coming from the exhaust. I guess this is from the unburnt fuel from the misfire? The car does not lose any coolent and the engine oil is not emulsified.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you had cylinder two compression tested?
Pull out the coil and stick a spark-plug in the end to make sure its actually sparking - if not then it could be the wiring to the coil pack.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I have replaced the coil packs and the fault persists.
I have plugged in with a VAG-Com tool again and whilst on tick over there is a constant misfire on cylinder 2.
Spark plugs and coil packs have been changed and swapped about but the misfire is always present on number 2 cylinder.
When the car is a sat ticking over there is a constant white smoke coming from the exhaust. I guess this is from the unburnt fuel from the misfire? The car does not lose any coolent and the engine oil is not emulsified.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

if you have a missfire on cylinder 2 its possible may be faulty injector in number 2 if you have the skill to do so remove the injector from cylinder 2 and put it in to cylinder 4 if the fault moves you will 100% know that thats a fault with out having to waste money
i would do that with coilpacks befor buying them too

Hi audi did check on coil packs there fine part of the recall..so had car put on vag-com same error codes came up and 3 new ones..now engine light came on the other day..i was like ****** hell got car home and took lead of maf sensor nowt changed so took it for a drivedrove fine, but still odd tick over and fuel usage,so took it to get checked today same error codes and 3 new ones old ones were cleared. and couple due to me taking plug off other 3 point kinda to tensioner..this is bein looked into a bit more but the strangest thing happend who ever had this car before me and the person before them have been trying to sort this out,

when i took maf plug off it was spotless inside..carb looked spotless so im guessing egr has been done as well...back to the strange thing we took filler cap off and the engine threw a wobbler not mad but like it had been starved of air really weird, put cap back on and it was ok took it off back to wobbler.. michael said that he had only ever come across this once i think something to do with a little vacum pump partly blocked,, the effect it had on engine it fed on its own oil..weird i know. he`s looking into this so my problem might be tensioner which has an effect on other things.....watch this space guys i have to say michael is a top guy

I have just been looking at my engine whilst running at idle. Is it normal for the aux belt tensioner to be twitching?

I have swapped the coil packs around and the fault stays with cylinder 2. There is a very occasional misfire on cylinder 3 also.

Hi i would think there is a certain amount of slack in the aux belt..i would phone Audi and ask this question if they cant answer tell em to shut shop lol