spacer recommendations? 16" Trapeze alloy specs?

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I know the spacers that I'm after (H&R Trak+), but just not 100% certain on how much I should go on each side and the really awkward thing is that the wheels are in storage right now and I'm not certain on the specs of my original alloys (the 16" "Trapeze" alloys that were standard on Sport spec A4's until they went to 17" as standard).

I have a weird feeling that they're something like 6.5J and ET54? Can somebody please confirm this?

I'm pretty sure that my Winter tyres are 215/55/16's.

Given that the 18" Avus III's (ET45) are 8J and wear 235/40/18 rubber, then an extra 15mm on each side should be reasonably comfortable without ANY risk of fouling, shouldn't it? 20mm wider tyre, so that's 10mm each side and ET45 vs ET54, so that's 9mm further "out" already.... so 15mm each side will be closer to the stance of the Avus III's....

Not sure if any of these would help...

The only photo's I have with the correct tyres on are distance shots:

Closer up, but please note that these are with 205/55/16 rubber, so definitely won't look quite right!

Or should I be aiming for more than 15mm each side? If so, I think I might get the tyres back from storage (and get them fitted to the car) and then order the spacers once I've done some measurements...

I have a weird feeling that they're something like 6.5J and ET54? Can somebody please confirm this?

I'm pretty sure that my Winter tyres are 215/55/16's.
The ET is 42,not 54!A4 don`t use such a high ET.

Yes,standard tyres size are 215/55/16,but also 205/55/16.

okay, thanks: I think I'll get the wheels fitted first, check them out and THEN order the spacers... litttle bit of a hassle to sort the spacers out as a separate job, but probably not worth rushing it...

just looked at vagcat: all the 16's are ET42 or ET45, so I definitely need to get mine back and double-check what I've got, pretty sure they're these ones: [h=3]8E0601025T[/h]
http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/au/A4Q/2001/249/54/3141999/

Without digging mine out the shed to double check I can be 100% sure, but I 'think' the Trapez wheels are ET45. I'd aim for 8 or 10mm spacers, personally I feel that anymore is a false economy, as looks wise they will always be 16" wheels, and if you went more than that I think the wider track would affect the handling too much, thus losing the gain of winter tyres.

Last edited:
Ihave a spare wheel in my garage;so,like i said,ET 42 :whistle2:

They're Definitely ET42. I just put my trapez wheels on ready for winter. Tyre size on mine are 205/55/16

weird... just changed the wheels over and checked them.... pretty sure they were ET45 (vagcat says either size for the trapeze)... I'll go and check again in a minute (once it stops raining)...

12mm each side is hubcentric, I think 10mm is non-hubcentric, so I think I'll stick with 12mm...

I'm not looking for "filled arches", like James said: "they'll always be 16" wheels" and they'll always be on chunky winter tyres.... but a slightly better stance would be nice and 12mm still has the wheels within the geometry of the S4's (8j vs 7j = 25mm difference, so 12mm extra offset will just have the "face" of the wheel in the same place :)

Hope you don't mind me asking (slightly off and on topic) Do you run any spacers with your 18" Avus wheels?