Changed my Track Rod Ends

SL11CKK

Reaction score
Right, I've just changed my track rod end with the Meyle HD ones. :rockwoot:

Basically the tracking is all over the place and my steering is making knocking noise as expected when steering.

I just want to know; what is the worst that will happen if kept like this for a day?

I'm taking it to Elite in Rainham on Monday and the journey is a bit far. I'm just sort of worried driving it like that to all the way there. Could this journey cost me more problems?

Please can somebody give me advice me on this.

You can still adjust it DIY to a reasonable level using string method (details on the net). As long as it's not totally out of whack (I drove a car after an accident with two wheels facing opposite directions! Only for a short moment though) it should be fine, if it just pulls a bit to one side then it's ok, but if it pulls back and forth, then try and reset it before taking it for alignment.
I'm not sure what A4's are like, but most cars alignment can be set by most garages, but if it's like my last car which had fully adjustable double wishbones front and back (camber castor toe) then full laser alignment is the only way, but on an A4 I imagine it's all fixed with only the toe is adjustable.

A quick tip when changing track rod ends is to fix a good sturdy length of steel bar across two of the wheel nut studs, with the bar prodruding back to something that will not move, make a mark, then adjust the new rod end to the same mark.. you won't be far out, easily good enough to drive, I've changed ends on my cars and never needed to get it readjusted. If you ever get it checked by thet likes of tyre fitters ( not all, some are good boys ), make sure they center the steering wheel and adjust both rod ends, they usually cheat and steer one wheel right, then adjust the other resulting in your steering wheel off center, lazy gits..... rant over..

I guess it knocked before you changed the rod ends, sure there isn't a ball joint worn somewhere else...

Nope the knocking noise wasnt like how it was.....I bought the Meyle HD full kit and put it on a month ago. Only decided to just finish by putting the track rod ends on today.
The old track rods had the rubber cut so I knew I have to change them as soon as.

Maybe it'll be worth trying to get it as true as you can and see if the knocking improves, I wouldn't drive it far if its a long way out though as already mentioned..

Why didn't you count the turns as you undid it then when you put new track rod on count the same turns and track rod is in exactly the same as when before you undo it

Why didn't you count the turns as you undid it then when you put new track rod on count the same turns and track rod is in exactly the same as when before you undo it

Before I started on it I had in my head to do this, but when I saw that the track rods were seized, all I had in my head was to bash this f***er and get it off. That was the main reason why I left it till today and not when I changed all my wishbones, I just couldn't be bothered to do more bashing and was late too.

Isn't there Mark on threads where the nut once was maybe the tread might be clean .... You could try set it to that ?????

Had to drive to the tracking place very slowly because both wheel were facing inwards. After doing it, it's made a noticeable different too, as the front was all over the place.

Now I'm a happy bunny :p

good news there but now your tyres will start to wear uneven .. once a tyre starts to wear at one point it will wear from that point all the time