Avant rear lights - different colours?

munchkincoupe

Reaction score
I replaced my damaged drivers side rear light on my avant with a used one in good condition. Fitted it and works no problems. Comparing it to my original passengers side light they look slightly different shades. I know they look slightly different due to there being a foglight in one side and a blank on the other but the used light appears to be a darker red and the white reverse section looks different too. They were no signs of water ingress in either unit when I changed all the bulbs over. It was from a car on similar mileage and age and I haven't heard of the colour in lights fading before. All the part number matched too!

Any ideas anyone?

If it makes a difference mine is a quattro sport and the donor car was an SE

I'm not aware of any difference in rear lights over the years, Sport and SE lights are exactly the same as far as I know. Strange one if the part numbers are the same.

I can't figure it out so I'm going to try and get the passenger light from the donor car too

Could be the age in terms of manufacturing year........older one could have faded a bit.

Mine are quite a rich dark red on an 04 like the second link

I have a 2004 TDI sport avant (black) and noticed one rear tail light is tinted slightly. Its actually quite obvious now that ive noticed it. IS there a tinted option available? I bought a tail light from ebay for a previous A4 and it was crap!! Looked like Helen Keller made it.....