solid flywheel conversion

glenandem

Reaction score
anyone done one on the a4 tdi's, ive done plenty of conversions on other vans and cars but just wondered if anyone on here had theirs done and was it worth it?

Hi m8

ive had mine done now for 7 months
and all is good . Cheaper so I paid more for a sports clutch
to match the flywheel ....

cool,cheers pal,ive got a bit of clutch judder so gonna change that and throw a flywheel in while im there and it works out cheaper like you say for solid kit so think i'll go with that, ive done many other conversions inc alot of transits and theyve all been good too!

quick question regarding the solid conversion.
i replaced my wifes dmf in her mk4 golf 1.8 turbo a few yrs back and fitted a kit a guy was selling consisting of a g60 flywheel and a vr6 clutch and it was an amazing difference how light the pedal went and drove nicer too.
now im wondering will this kit fit the 1.9 tdi gearbox too as i only paid £250 for that kit back then and it had the benefit of being solid flywheel and also uprated clutch?
anyone clued up on this?

Ive got the Helix kit on my A3 1.9TDI.

The pedal is harder, but im heavy footed so its perfect for me
The noise on idle is loud, sounds like an old trnsit van low on oil lol.

Cant fault the drivability though, just keep your clutch down in trafic etc and when warming up outside your house!

This kit was £850, but the next change will be friction plate only at £140 ish.

just been searching the web and found a site call darkside developments and they have different clutch setups but advertise the g60 vr6 setup i had and was very impressed with in the past and apparantly it fits the tdi too so might have to invest in that as im itching to take the enigne out now to do cambelt and flwheel at same time,heres the link to it for £260!
Darkside G60 Flywheel and Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit - Darkside Developments

Yeah I hear DarkSide Development are good guys. Also doesn't the conversion make the drive somewhat jumpy when letting go clutch too quick?

Yeah I hear DarkSide Development are good guys. Also doesn't the conversion make the drive somewhat jumpy when letting go clutch too quick?

not sure on diesels pal,but when i did the conversion on my 1.8t golf that was mapped and a few other bits i had to replace the clutch as it was slipping and some guy off a forum was offering them cheap at the time and alot of people swear by them so threw it on and couldnt believe how light the pedal was after and i dont recall any difference in taking up drive?
also people say its slightly more noisy but i never noticed it?
im waiting for dark developments to get back but looks like it does fit and the good thing is that it will take more power if wanted to start boosting power up but im all about mpg these days lol

I had a few stalls like this on day one, but now im used to it i hardly notice it.

Resurecting an old thread ! I too had a Southbend clutch and solid mass flywheel fitted to a pd 130 audi a4 and i have massive chatter at iddle and judder at take off, need to be carefull not to slip the clutch as it's still bedding in. However the engine is tuned to about 200 Bhp and i don't mind the idle chatter, the new clutch is 240mm and it will hold whatever i can throw at it ! Was thinking to convert the car to quattro, i have a b6 2.5 tdi quattro sport with a broken cambelt which i could cannibalize for the diff and gearbox. Only issue is the flywheel is made to work on a 5 speed gearbox and the v6 tdi quattro is a 6 speed, might have to use the 5 speed box starter...
Here are a few pictures during the rebuild/clutch swap:
DSCF5128.jpg

DSCF5127.jpg

DSCF5126.jpg

DSCF5125.jpg

DSCF5124.jpg

DSCF5121.jpg

DSCN1236.jpg

DSCN1237.jpg

DSCN1238.jpg

hi mate,nice looking pics you put up there, 200bhp bet the torque must be high on that too and it pulls well!
what have you done to it!
also im thinking about just swapping like for like now after a company i contacted called darkside developments said solid flywheels are too harsh on the tdi engines and recommended sticking with dmf?

It pulls alright mate, still not too big of a fan of the PD engine but it grows on me ! There's a bv43 turbo, Allard EGR delete, racelogic boost gauge, the engine has been rebuilt with a new block, lowered CR, ARL pd150 head bolts, thicker head gasket and a few more bits and bobs. Actually i had that turbo on a b5 audi a4 90 Bhp which had a 11mm injector pump, Bosio Race 520 injectors, ported head, forged rods and a few more bits and bobs and it was much more powerful than this pd ! Crashed the car but still have the engine- got this b6 for cheap with a broken engine (rod gone trough the block due to hydrolock!) so proceeded to fix ! The previous owner spent loads of money on the car: lowered sports suspension, the TT alloys are fitted with new tyres and the car is a good spec too. I had to fit 312mm brakes and rs4 rear antiroll bar just to keep the car in control- handles fine now but still not as good as a quattro !
Next on the cards is a GTB2260Vk turbo modded to fit (i am using some Darkside hardware), front mounted intercooler and some Firad +80% nozzles then i'll have another custom remap ! Should shift nicely then...
DSCN13871.jpg

DSCN13851.jpg

DSCN13881.jpg

DSCN1252.jpg

DSCN1253.jpg

DSCN1251.jpg

DSCN1248.jpg

DSCN1247.jpg

DSCN1246.jpg

DSCN1245.jpg

wow looks like you specced that engine up a wee bit,looks like you got a nice little project going on there!
whats the front bumper on that,it looks really nice and not over the top too!

It's a RIEGER rs4 style bumper, goes well with the Votex front grille however i am on the look out for a pair of genuine Votex lower grilles so i can get them fitted to the bumper- the mesh is ok but not as nice as the real grilles. Will take a few pictures of the car in it's current state, just had the front re-sprayed due to a few scuffs on the bumper and stone chips on the bonnet, looks much much better now !