JMB RetrofitsBadger5
    5th Gear

Status

Number plate light problem

Right - I got the non-led number plate bulbs from T8ups as I had issues with the led ones on my A3 previously. Gone to fit them into my A4 Avant today. Fitted the left holder + bulb - changed screw for stainless steel allen screw - applied some black rubber sealant as the rubber seal had started to perish - tested it and all good apart from the fact that the right light now doesn't work with the normal bulb in it. So went to swap that one out and found that previous owner had rounded off the original screw, must have cut out the old holder, fitted a new one and fitted a self tapping screw at an angle to bypass the rounded off screw shaft! On removing it there has been a lot of water ingress as the angled screw isn't allowing the holder to sit straight in the cut-out

Whatever I do here the new holder will need to be stuck in somehow so without replacing the whole black strip I feel the best thing to do would be to bond or glue the new holder in place. So here's the question........

What will last longer (as I won't be able to remove it if stuck in!) an OEM holder with a non-led bulb or the integrated 18 led units that come as part of the holder?

Also what would be the best product to bond it in with please?

Thanks for any advice

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    I'm not too sure what bit is knackered, can't you just buy a new one of these?

Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    I'm not too sure what bit is knackered, can't you just buy a new one of these?

hi guys newbie here,do you know how much them trims are by chance?
    my new avant had one of the no plate bulbs not working only to strip it and find it all corroded away totally and requires a full new strip now!

5th Gear

Status
    Yes but it's £30ish for that part plus a new pair of OEM holders and then the time to fit it so figured it may be easier to do one of the options in the first post

2nd Gear

Status
    Sorry to jump on this thread, i have a similar issue, i had a number plate light out went to replace, screw was rounded, and inside of light was corroded to the point the holder had completely disintigrated, do you have a part number for this as i think i need one too
    Mods done: interior: Light to dark conversion, To Do: Carbon trim, carpet to be replaced, rear window retrofit. Exterior: Resprayed in Skoda's Rallye Green, 18" RS4 reps fitted, xenons, LED sidelights/NumberPlate lights, B Pillars wrapped in carbon. To Do: Lowering 35mm all round, tints, Tuning: Yet to do exhaust/remap/ egr delete etc..

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    I'm sure the p/n is either in here or the sticky, if not let me know and I'll find it.

number plate light bulb holders
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Neutral

Status
    I've just done this on my Avant. Purchased LED bulbs, and found a self tapper in the light at an angle - must be a dealership fix!

I removed the panel, drilled out the broken bolt, re-tapped, coat of satin black (left over from the peeling wiper arm job the weekend before!) and replaced both light lenses with new units.

I would suggest either repairing the housing or replacing it. Gluing the lights in seems like a bad idea....

Nathan.

5th Gear

Status
    Bought a new strip and holders today from audi - another job on the list!

Thanks for advice fellas

5th Gear

Status
    Replaced it all today and working great now. Also stripped down boot handle and relubed it and the boot release works like a dream too now. Getting the trim off was a pain in the a** though

Avant part numbers - black metal moulding strip - 8E0 827 576 3FZ
    Bulb holders - 8E0 807 430 B and 8E0 807 430 A

BahnStormer

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanA4Avant View Post
    I've just done this on my Avant. Purchased LED bulbs, and found a self tapper in the light at an angle - must be a dealership fix!
    Might be, but I would have thought they'd say "new trim": more likely just a well known workaround to the screws corroding and snapping and not having to waste the time and parts to get your motor back on the road.

I had the same on mine the first time I checked it: a TINY dab of clear bathroom silicon sealant the first time I "resealed" it and it popped back out fine afterwards when I had ordered the new bulb holders. I filled the angled hole with silicone sealant and because there was still a snapped-off screw in the trim, I put a new, small, self-tapping screw in at an angle.... seems to be fine, but just a better seal than the previous setup had (sits completely flush and no water ingress).
    LostBok/BahnStormer77
    A6 (C7) Avant 3.0TFSI, DSG, rain and light sensor pack, LED headlight pack, MMI touch, SDS high, AMI, 360deg sensors + auto-park, Dunlop SP Winter Sports / Pirelli P Zero's.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkincoupe View Post
    Replaced it all today and working great now. Also stripped down boot handle and relubed it and the boot release works like a dream too now. Getting the trim off was a pain in the a** though

Avant part numbers - black metal moulding strip - 8E0 827 576 3FZ
    Bulb holders - 8E0 807 430 B and 8E0 807 430 A
    hi pal,how much where both these parts,ive got a bulb gone but found the old bulb contacts corroded away plus the whole black metal strip is corroding too!

5th Gear

Status
    Moulding - 29.61
    Bulb holders - 7.58 each

not with vat

They also do a black plastic version of the moulding that comes with a pair of bulb holders included in the price for about £65 - apparently it was produced to stop the corrosion problem

3rd Gear

Status
    cheers pal,double the price for plastic!
    you'd think it would be cheaper,well i better get mine done soon got the mot coming up!