re A4 1,8T avant quattro running costs

gary911

Reaction score
Hi, is the A4. avant quattro 1.8t 190bhp 6 speed heavy on fuel in general driving as I have heard they can give as little as 21mpg .
Is the car worth having remapped as its a bit dull .
Thank you

I've heard they are bad on fuel, although 21 seems a little low. I think most people get around 30mpg? I may be wrong though, as I have a 1.9tdi, so not too clued up on the 1.8t.

I have the same but not the Quattro and its the 163bhp option
Mine averages 28mpg which is crap

I Bought one a month ago, Quattro 190 Sline & getting just above 30mpg.

May remap down the line, but don't find it too slow yet!

I can get pretty steady low 30's mpg and mine has been mapped and a couple of other bits as it is pretty grim standard but feels a lot more alive now

Yes have it re-mapped.

This thread makes me feel slightly better about my 2.5TDi now.

I get a regular real world 40mpg out of my 163 Quattro sport. I think a lot of it comes down to driving style.

Ive never had it lower than 30mpg. IMO, don't bother getting it mapped, it'll still be dog slow and it'll be less reliable

I get a regular real world 40mpg out of my 163 Quattro sport. I think a lot of it comes down to driving style.

Ive never had it lower than 30mpg. IMO, don't bother getting it mapped, it'll still be dog slow and it'll be less reliable

still be dog slow ?
less reliable ?
how do you come to that ?

pretty simple really, mine is mapped, it's still dog slow and it's less reliable
well in that case remaps are crap
but what map have you got on there ?

well in that case remaps are crap
but what map have you got on there ?

I never said remaps were crap. I said that a map on that particular model isn't hugely worthwhile.
ive got a fully custom stage 2 map on mine with supporting mods. And IMO, it's still not enough power for the size of the car and the Quattro drivetrain losses.

I never said remaps were crap. I said that a map on that particular model isn't hugely worthwhile.
ive got a fully custom stage 2 map on mine with supporting mods. And IMO, it's still not enough power for the size of the car and the Quattro drivetrain losses.
so what power are you putting out now ?
and TQ

Maybe thats down to the K03 turbo, the 190 has a K03s and mine feels like a totally different car and much more responsive, and no reliability issues so dont know where you're getting that generalisation from

I have the same engine in an A3 Quattro and never had more than 30 mpg out of it and thats motorway driving.... don't beleive the DIS if says your getting 40 mpg it's a very thirsty engine but has many good points,,,, it's very tunable , very strong when properly serviced and will still return reasonable mpg when thrashed but it's never going to be an ecco engine

I have a 163 Quattro, Stage 2 Remap, carbonio CAI, Milltek, Milltek CAT, Forge diverter valve etc and it's competely different to standard and much more reposnsive. Also, all that was done at approx 30k and it's now on 129600 miles - only normal wear and tear stuff has gone - crank sensor being the most recent and lots of suspension consumables - unrelated to the remap / engine work. Oh, and the blocked oil pick up but that again is nothing to do with the remap.

I drive 2x days a week Leeds to Preston and in 60-70mph traffic easy get 40 real world (measured fill to fill). Went to london this weekend, did 32mpg over a whole tank. THat was Leeds - London and back to as far as Leicester forest east. Spritied drivng and lots of stop start in London (going south of the river). So i think not that bad overall.

I have a 190 not good on fuel but a lot better than my previous Impreza then again that was over 300bhp so in my eyes the 190 feels slow but I suppose it's not really,still could do with a bit more go for a big car but I'm kinda over the fast car thing this is my stepping stone to ween me off the power then into a diesel one day and hopefully something fast just for the weekends etc

I have 190 quattro and its thirsty around town. I average 260miles on a tank around town. had the non quattro previous to this and was better on fuel and in the dry a bit quicker. I would get it re-mapped as i wouldn't describe them as fast, more just adequate.