Drivers Door Wiring Loom Kn4ckered - Anyone Know a Decent Fix or Where Best to Try?

Springer*

Reaction score
The drivers' door wiring loom on my 2003 A4 1.9TDi Quattro Sport (130) appears to have bitten the dust.

All of the power to the door has gone which means the electric windows won't work, the remote central locking doesn't work properly and I have to turn the interior light off when I leave the car or it doesn't automatically turn off.

Rather than try and find the hair line crack in the problematic wire I think its probably best that I source a new wiring loom from somewhere. I've looked on eBay but there doesn't seem to be any drivers door looms on there.

Does anyone know where is best to try and get one from without paying astronomic Audi prices or does anyone know a good fix?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

J

have you priced one from audi? It may not be that bad. Mine broke the same but just bought connectors and rejoined the wires. They dont go with just a hairline crack the whole wire is usually in two parts. Have you actually had a look to see how bad they are?

the break in the wire will be inside the rubber gater that sits between the hinges.... on my car it was the brown earth wire that had broken as it's thicker than all the others and being the earth it effects more than one system.... constant opening and closing of the door breaks down the wire... the hardest part for me was getting at it.... in the end i cut the rubber gater along the bottom with a stanley knife and then super glued it back together once i had soldered the offending wire

i think i have got a loo for the drrivers side, i will have to have a look tonight and i wll drop you a pm if i do still have it.

I had the same issue with my drivers side loom - my two rear looms are also going the same way.

I removed my drivers loom completely from the door & replaced the offending section of wire, heatshrinked and wrapped in electrical tape - its been fine for 5 months touch wood.

Thanks for the replies peeps. Very much appreciated.

I've not actually looked at the wires to see how bad it is. Like you say I am 99.9% convinced that the wire break is within the rubber bung in the door hinge. For the last couple of months I have opened the door and given the rubber thing a gentle nip and a little wiggle until the power came back on. This last week however I think the wire has snapped completely.

I think I'll have to pull it to bits this weekend if the weather is okay and see if there is something obvious. I'll keep an eye out for the aforementioned brown earth wire!

Cheers,

J

Just pull the rubber boot and cut back the black tape and tug each wire mine had broke 2 of the big ones....

Yeah will do mate. Thank you.

How thick are the wires? Are they like tiny bell wire that can just be re-fastened with just stripping the wire back, twiddling them back together and then sealing with electrical tape or are they more robust and will need a soldering iron?

J

Well that was fun...

Removed the rubber boot from the door hinge area and low and behold the brown earth wire was completely sheared in two. Really didn't think it would be that obvious lol!

Anyway, even though the space was tight and there was very little wire to work with, I have stripped back the wire and reattached it before taping it all up neatly.

All power back to the door and all seems well.

Thanks for the help peeps!

J

Hi guys,
I've got the same problem with no power to the door.
The wires that are broken on mine are the 2 very thin wires that are twisted together.
What would be the best way to join these two small wires?
Thanks M

just patch them with solder shrink wrap and your sorted
have a good check of the brown it may be on its way out.

I used some crimp and shrink wrap connectors very neat job and also extra strong with crimp then the shrink with the glue in them

Whats funny is I think I'm going through the same thing now. Well as of yesterday - when I lock the doors it doesn't make the alarm confirmation and no blinking have to click it 3 to 4 times then locks.

If the earth keeps breaking would it be better if a thicker gauge wire is put in?

Whats funny is I think I'm going through the same thing now. Well as of yesterday - when I lock the doors it doesn't make the alarm confirmation and no blinking have to click it 3 to 4 times then locks.

If the earth keeps breaking would it be better if a thicker gauge wire is put in?

the wire is fairly thick m8 it's just how tight there wrapped with the bend eventually they will all break

I think I have to sort this out ASAP, as I reckon one day the door won't unlock to fix it.

I know somebody who may have the loom from a B7, will it fit with no problems?

I'm not sure because b7use can bus wiring so it may be different I'm sure someone else may be able to add info...