Black smoking and noisy acceleration

Jay85

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a tdi sport 130 saloon. The other day I was informed by the old man, that when he was following me, i was chucking out a bit of black smoke under acceleration. Also i have noticed that it is quite noisy under acceleration or downshifting (i.e. it bellows a bit). This is my first diesel i have owned so I'm not sure whether the noise is normal or not, but I'm pretty sure it shouldnt really be black smoking.
The car has done 89k miles, and is completely standard (as best to my knowledge). Would a egr blank and inlet manifold clean sort the smoking out? or am i looking for split boost/intake hoses causing the smoking and the noise?
Many thanks
Jay

I'd defo start at boost pipes theses are prown for boost leaks louder noise and bellows of smoke.....

I'd defo start at boost pipes theses are prown for boost leaks louder noise and bellows of smoke.....

ok cool cheers. whats best way to go about this? engine running and trace all the hoses till i hear one leaking or is there an easier way i.e. spray hoses with fairy liquid solution and watch for bubbles??

I would check the upper hoses are secure and solid with no cracks etc then jack the front end and remove the under tray to check the inter cooler and lower hoses.

I had a boost leak and it was the hose coming up from inter cooler joint near the fuel filter had come away. Put back together with a new clip and no smoke or power issues since.

Don't add liquids to the hoses as the system is under pressure and will be sucking air in not blowing it out.....more so when the turbo is spinning, and you don't want water etc sucked into the engine.