Thermostat

tazzy baby

Welsh & Proud
Reaction score
Hiya looking for help and sence. Im rebuilding the head on my 2.0 and ive got almost everything changed to new. Ive lernt that the more i replace now the better in the long run so i went and priced up a thermostat and lets just say shocked wernt the word. they say i have to buy a compleate unit thats round about 100 quid plus but i remember spending just a few pounds on my ford. is there a way to just change the thermostat or do i need to change the compleate unit if so where is the best place as TPS wants quite a bit for one cheers

Not sure how it relates to the petrol engine (though thermostats are all really the same) but I got one for just a few quid for my TDi, it was a pattern part, which some may cry about but with Audi* thermostats failing all over the placem I couldn't do any worse! I don't think you would need to replace the housing as I assume it's just a cast piece so, unless it's cracked, just keep the one you have.

*as if Audi make their own theromostats.

Pretty sure a VAG thermostat from TPS cost me about £30 a couple of months ago.

I bought one from VW (little cheaper than Audi) for £20 about 8months ago... it's already gone. Going back for a replacement soon.
But you shouldn't be paying £100 just the thermostat and O ring, so someone's adding bits to the bill!