A4 starting problem - Intermittent

AudidriverA4

Reaction score
Hi there :sm4:

I'm just having problems with my 2004 130 (avf) bhp B6 A4

Some times when I go to start to start the car, the glow plugs will not show on the dash and the car will not start, it just keeps turning and turning,

However if I leave the ignition switched on (the same as if you were waiting for the glow plugs to go out) and wait anything from 1 to 10 minutes all of a sudden the glow plugs will appear and then the car will start and is driving perfectly :wtf:

I got a video of it here one time it happened to me:

Audi A4 starting problem - YouTube

I have since taking the car to a mechanic to works in a VW garage, he looked at the car and reckons that the car needs new clocks, and the only way to get this done is through an Audi dealer ship which at the moment is looking like it is going to cost a bomb, and this problem is intermittent so it might happen one start in every 30 so I'm not sure what to do with the car,

from doing some googling it looks like it is a simple Relay 109 problem the car has:

owho is right?

Is it worth changing the relay before bring to the Audi dealership?

Also how hard would it be to change this relay?

Thanks in advance I know this wasa long read :icon_thumright:

Im not 100% with the audis but i know with my old golf it was possible to buy a full ecu clock and lock set from a donor car just try and get the skc code from the old ecu,

Im pretty sure aslong as you have the skc any clocks out of same car could be coded just the mileage would be wrong? im sure one of the more experienced users will correct me if im wrong

Changing the relay is cheaper than replacing the dashpod.
If it is a dash fault, there are Co's that repair them.

Thanks for the quick replies :salute:

Yes when I found out this I was in to minds weather to sell on the car or spend 1000+ on it, he said it also needs a new ABS module :sadlike:

I think I'll give try and change the relay 109 first it's worth a shot anyway,

Does anyone have a link to How to change this Relay?

Thanks again

Just to update this,

I noticed when the glow plugs are not showing the 3 brakes lights at the back are showing, even though I don't have my foot on the brakes :wtf:

It would hardly have anything to do with the brake switch would it ? :wacko:

Just to update this,

I noticed when the glow plugs are not showing the 3 brakes lights at the back are showing, even though I don't have my foot on the brakes :wtf:

It would hardly have anything to do with the brake switch would it ? :wacko:

stranger things have happened at sea!!

has it been scanned for fault codes? if so what came up?

stranger things have happened at sea!!

has it been scanned for fault codes? if so what came up?

Yes it was scanned and no faults came up :huh:

The car has since 'died' it now won't show the glow plugs at all now

So that's the end of it starting now :banghead:

I would check out the glow plug relay first