judder/jerk, CVT or Something else

matt1.8t

Reaction score

• Hi All

Im new here please be nice :)
    Got a B6 1.8t with a strange problem, first off when
    in auto or tip mode you get to around 1800-2000rpm and it feels like a misfire or a judder. Like its slipped a gear??, after that it goes like a stabbed rat and it doesnt happen again as you go through the gears and revs.
    However if your crusing at 80mph and lift off the throttle and wait until the revs die down to 1800-2000rpm you can see the rev needle pulsating and hunting.
    Does this sound like a cvt issue, split hoses or something else,
    thanks for all your help if you have any
    matt

check my thread history, i had an issue almost identical to yours on my diesel v6 multitronic. took it to driver transmissions in birmingham who said it was clutches slipping hence new clutche pack required, 850 + vat. On my own hunch, since the oil had done about 30,000 since last gearbox rebuild, i decided to try an oil change and seems to have fixed the problem. done over 1000 miles and car has not missed a beat. When was your oil last changed, anything over 20,000 miles ago then i would definitely be giving that a go first.

I have had the car a couple of weeks now, has fsh and noticed that 45k miles ago it had new box fitted from Audi but since then can't see anywhere saying its had the oils changed.
Ive got it booked in on thurs for the oil so fingers crossed that will solve the issue

say booked in, i have the oil and am taking it somewhere to do only cause of checking the temp otherwise i would do it

good luck with that. 45,000 miles the oil will be in a right old state and will certainly not be doing the box or the clutches any favours. Hopefully, like mine, its just the oil that neeeds changing...

Hopefully it will be fine after an oil change, drive beautifully this morning when it was cold until after about 20mins the oil must have warmed up and then that's when it played up again

Hopefully it will be fine after an oil change, drive beautifully this morning when it was cold until after about 20mins the oil must have warmed up and then that's when it played up again

yep, mine was doing it once warmed up too. The blipping at 1500 revs etc.
I actually got my mate to do the oil change, but I was there the whole time. It is a bit fiddly to be honest, and if i was you, I would take it to someone who knew what they were doing with it. Even the dealer comes in quite reasonably around the 150 mark.

Yeah I'm going to, I've explained how it should be done and there not worried one bit.
Did your friend have the stuff to measure the temp?

The way we measured the temp was by pointing a "snap on" laser thermometer at the oil sump of the transmission box. Not ideal, but seems to have worked!!!

Funny u say that. They've got that but also a new snap on state of the art comp which they think might read the temp sender unit inside like the vag com system.
So hopefully we will find away

Just make sure you follow the guide on elsa win and you shouldnt go too far wrong. I researched online for it but cannot find the link now. what i intend to do is to drive the car for around 5000 miles and then drop the oil again. Sort of like a double flush, and then stick to 20,000 mile oil changes after that. keep us all posted how it goes and i'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

I've got the actual a4 workshop manual from Audi. Lists every job on every year from when the a4 was made upto the present day so we will follow there guidelines.
I will actually do the same schedule as what your doing as well but might do it earlier at 15,000 miles

15,000 mile oil change is a good shout. I firmly believe now that the weak point of the multitronic is only exposed through extended periods between oil changes. If you can, it is a good idea to inspect the oil as this can reveal a lot. burnt smell is normal along with black friction material ,what you dont want to find is metal shavings more than 1mm long.....

Ok thanks for that. Gives me something to inspect how's it doing.
From what I read as long as the oil is done regularly and between 15k-20k then the box should last a long time

Oil is changed and what came was black as black can be.
However fault is still there, spoke to an Audi mechanic at the dealers and he said its not a gearbox fault. He was shocked to hear that no fault codes are stored and has said look into vac hoses and throttle body and see what that throws up

sorry to hear you still got the fault. the way you described it, i was sure an oil change would fix it. sorry mate, dont know what else to suggest...

It is a strange one. It now only does when accelerating slowly but also noticed when pulling away up hill which is steep and from a standing start it feels like its gonna stall like it engages to harshly.
Chap at Audi did mention its only £60 for an hours worth of diagnostics to figure out what's wrong.