Company car owners - driving abroad

I

imported_Smudge973

Hi, I will be taking my car abroad in 3 weeks, we will be going to the south of Ireland. If you drive a company car you are required to take a letter of authority. Has anyone done this ? If so can you help me and inform me what needs to be on the letter. obviously if it's you own your car then you simply take to log book. Any help appreciated. thanks.

My employer just had a bog standard letter, on headed paper, saying that I had permission to take the car abroad (stated which countries) and between which dates. They issued a letter each time I went.

You'll also need the V5 and a valid insurance certificate.

Kev.

hmmm.

Ive never taken either V5 or a letter abroad with mine - the only thing ive had to do is make sure the chap who deals with insurance has let the ins. company know in advance... not been to ireland though! That was all ive done for France, Germany, belgium and luxembourg in the Co. Car.

Perhaps I should have had those too!! oops!

[ QUOTE ]
My employer just had a bog standard letter, on headed paper, saying that I had permission to take the car abroad (stated which countries) and between which dates. They issued a letter each time I went.

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the letter was in place of a V5 ?

From the RAC's website:

[ QUOTE ]
Wherever you need to drive in Europe it is mandatory to carry the original Vehicle Registration Document. If you cannot obtain the original you will need a letter of authority from the owner and a Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103B) instead. This is especially important if you are driving a hired or leased vehicle. Vehicle on Hire Certificates can be obtained from RAC for just £6.00.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the letter was in place of a V5 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

See quote above, you maybe right. My employer however insisted that I had a copy of everything and a letter of authority.

Kev.

Cheers Kev, just knocked a letter together, I'll also take the V5 just to be on the safe side.

I've never driven to Ireland, but often drive in France, Belgium, Germany and less frequently in Poland, Spain etc...

From my personal experience, police in other countries can be very awkward. To be on the safeside I'd take all the paperwork you can, that way there is less chance of them having something to pull you about.

Don't forget your driving licence!

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
I've never driven to Ireland, but often drive in France, Belgium, Germany and less frequently in Poland, Spain etc...

From my personal experience, police in other countries can be very awkward. To be on the safeside I'd take all the paperwork you can, that way there is less chance of them having something to pull you about.

Don't forget your driving licence!

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sent my Licence to get some nice points before I go away, not sure if you read my previous thread ? I'm sure it will be back in time ! I hope so !