AH FabricationsSky Insurance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1st Gear

Status

Should i buy this avant?

Not sure if im allowed to post an ebay link so remove if needed.

I want an a4 avant 1.9tdi sport and this one has cropped up... High mileage and 4 owners, it has all the extras i would like, but all the gadgets aside is it worth a look. It is due a cambelt soon and had a new clutch and fly @ 120k.
    Ive never dreamed of owning a high mileage car before but ive read so much on these cars that im coming round to it for the right motor. But is this it? please help.
    2004 AUDI A4 TDI SPORT BLACK | eBay

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Hi, not sure if you've seen mine on eBay, but here's the item number if your interested 280951912541

Iv had it 18 months and driven it all over the uk... Drives like new,

Only for sale now because I have purchased a Quattro to use as a daily,

Thanks
    2004 A4 1.9 TDi Sport Avant Quattro - HiD's - FULL RECARO LEATHER - S4 Mirrors - Cupra R Splitter - Heko Wind Deflectors

1st Gear

Status
    Yes i had seen your one, very nice, however it has higher mileage and none of the extras of the other one for the same price.

1st Gear

Status
    Yh unfortunately it doesn't have the extras, but has been maintained very well,

Good luck in your search,
    2004 A4 1.9 TDi Sport Avant Quattro - HiD's - FULL RECARO LEATHER - S4 Mirrors - Cupra R Splitter - Heko Wind Deflectors

3rd Gear

Status
    As long as it's in good condition, mechanically sound, everything works properly & has a good verifiable history don't be put off by the mileage. I've known of several VAG TDI's with well over 200.000 miles on them which are going strong.
    A4 Avant B6 1.9 TDI 130 Sport (6) Moro Pearl Blue, GMBH S Line Kit, Decat pipe, 165bhp remap, EGR delete, Dunlop SP Max, Full Leather, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Bose, Audi phone prep, Cooled Glove Box, Rear privacy glass, Rear parking assist.
    2003 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI FR in Lima green.

Loving the anonymity

Status

Re: Should i buy this avant?

As mentioned previously, I wouldn't be scared of the high mileage necessarily. However, if you are going to pile on the miles yourself then it won't be long before things may start to go wrong. What annual mileage will you do? I bought mine at 130k miles, knowing I'd only do about 10k a year. However, if I was still in my old job where I did between 20-30k I'd have thought twice about it.

My brother in law and father in law both have octavias with well over 200k miles, and I think they are the pd engines. I can't remember what the cam belt interval is, but is it 60k? If so, it's not that far off needing doing again.

5th Gear

Status
    as all said above then it should be ok. try get the money knocked off for the belt work and it will pay for it

2003 B6 Audi A4 Avant. 3.0 V6 Quattro Sport

1.9tdi130 Avant FailWheelDrive

Status
    Go have a proper look. My engine is about 10k miles less than this one but is going strong and has been across europe a few times, but some people do have issues with theirs.

You will want to be doing the cambelt regardless of mileage, luckily it's fairly simple on these cars but is a good haggling point.

1st Gear

Status
    I have spoken to the seller and he will have the cambelt done before sale. It does have service history although at a independent.
    I am going to look at it as I have looked a few today with lower mileage that were quite frankly not worth the 5k mark up.
    I will be doing only 12-13k a year so not to much plus they're motorway miles.
    Anything to look out for guys?

1st Gear

Status
    Going o be looking at this in the week so any help on what to look out for would be super..

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Greeny233 On Twitter

Should i buy this avant?

Looks nice, has all the right options fitted. Wish it had been about when I was buying mine.
    You will have to have a good look round it, the price does seem a little on the cheap side.
    Chris "the machine" Green.
    2004 Audi A4 1.9tdi Sport Quattro Avant

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeny233 View Post
    Looks nice, has all the right options fitted. Wish it had been about when I was buying mine.
    You will have to have a good look round it, the price does seem a little on the cheap side.
    Theres a few out there around this price with out the extras but much lower mileage. The seller seems genuine. im just wondering whats best to look for on a car of this age.

1st Gear

Status
    Just look out for normal stuff, ensure all electrics work, all warning lights come on and off like they should do.

Look for blue smoke under load - a little smoke is ok but nothing excessive!!

Rust in wheel arches...??

That's about it unless anyone else wished to add to this...

3rd Gear

Status
    As above check everything electrical is working correctly windows & central locking are prone to problems.
    Dual mass flywheel is a big expense so let the car idle from cold in neutral & check for knocking & vibration that stops when you depress the clutch pedal.
    A4 Avant B6 1.9 TDI 130 Sport (6) Moro Pearl Blue, GMBH S Line Kit, Decat pipe, 165bhp remap, EGR delete, Dunlop SP Max, Full Leather, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Bose, Audi phone prep, Cooled Glove Box, Rear privacy glass, Rear parking assist.

3rd Gear

Status

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldazzle View Post
    Thats actually one of the ones I went to look at. Not worth 5k IMO.
    Paint work was abit tatty and the front had been resprayed for chips but not done too well. Leathers were worn but it did drive lovely.

3rd Gear

Status
    After owning 3 B6s a few years back I am looking for another one at the moment, for me though I would prefer leather as Audi leather looks old so quickly, think it is because it has a deep grain, and it is dirt in the grain that makes it look hard and shiny.

There is a really nice 2.5 Quattro Tip estate just down the road from me, but I refuse to pay £460 a year in road tax for a £3000 car and for something that takes 9 seconds to get to 60mph!! haha

I couldn't believe it was in that band, so annoying, even more so for the seller I guess. I do think they should make it so when a car gets to 10 years old it has a max of £220 or something.
    A6 3.2 Quattro Avant tiptronic for wafting in.
    M3 SMG Coupe for having fun in!

1st Gear

Status
    Sorry is that wouldn't prefer leather?
    I think those leathers look immaculate for the age and miles they've been used.
    Im looking out for others but im starting to see how rare these cars are. Any help on where to look guys?
    Last edited by troopa; 4th September 2012 at 20:12.

6th Gear

Status
    is it just the avants you want and whats your price limit

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by simon.m View Post
    is it just the avants you want and whats your price limit
    the car im after is a4 1.9tdi sport avant manual 53-54 as they have the gmbh/sport/s-line kit or whatever it is lol. 5k is my limit. when i started looking about 2 weeks ago there was some nice ones but they went quick.
    Last edited by troopa; 4th September 2012 at 20:11.

3rd Gear

Status
    Yeah, I would prefer sports interior but not leather.

The attachment at the bottom shows the leather on that A4 you posted, and to me that looks really hard and shiny.

This was the leather on my E Class when I sold it, a year newer, but was pretty much perfect, still had that nice soft matte look and feel to it.

Attached Images Attached Images

3rd Gear

Status
    This was my A6 avant at 4 years old and 40k miles, and that was already starting to go hard and shiny and there was nothing I could do about it.

This was my S4 at under 20k miles, again starting to show signs of getting old, I just think Audi leather has not be that good over the years....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by gizze View Post
    There is a really nice 2.5 Quattro Tip estate just down the road from me, but I refuse to pay £460 a year in road tax for a £3000 car and for something that takes 9 seconds to get to 60mph!! haha
    What 2.5 is that to cost £460 a year?
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

3rd Gear

Status

Status

My Social Networking

Mine's a manual, 216kg/com I think in band K, last year was £260 and I'm expecting my renewal, due anyday to be £270. Maybe the tiptronics fall into the next band? Ouch.

3rd Gear

Status
    Yeah, 225 is the cut off and these are 238g.

Just makes it completely undesirable imho. In a year it will be 25% of the cars value.

6th Gear

Status
    You sure about that mate ? I have a 180Bhp audi allroad auto which is 270 quid to tax a year, it's a late 2003 model and i'm sure it's over 225g CO2 per Km...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

3rd Gear

Status
    I had actually agreed to buy a 2002 A6 2.5tdi Quattro Tiptronic Avant, and he said that it was £145 to tax that for 6 months, so I am not 100% sure, as surely the A4 would be less if anything.

I think I might call him tomorrow and see what he says.

Status

My Social Networking

The cost of tax is here:

The cost of vehicle tax for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and trade licences : Directgov - Motoring

As for the CO output, I have heard of numerous discrepancies between V5's, and the DVLA data before.

3rd Gear

Status
    Seems that the tax bracket was going to change this year, but they have held it back, so anything before 2006 is currently capped at bank K, so £270 this year.
    However this may change next year and then it will be £470.

I am going to see the car in a bit so will update. She said the history is a bit patchy, so will have to see what it drives like I guess.
    Last time I bought something with a few missing services in the book, turned out my 86k mile car had been into a main dealer 4 years before and had 160k miles on it then, so always a bit weary these days.

2nd Gear

Status
    Last time I bought something with a few missing services in the book, turned out my 86k mile car had been into a main dealer 4 years before and had 160k miles on it then, so always a bit weary these days.
    Ask the current owner for V5 document reference then you can check its MOT history give you a clear idea of mileage and how well its been maintained from year to year.....
    Mods done: interior: Light to dark conversion, To Do: Carbon trim, carpet to be replaced, rear window retrofit. Exterior: Resprayed in Skoda's Rallye Green, 18" RS4 reps fitted, xenons, LED sidelights/NumberPlate lights, B Pillars wrapped in carbon. To Do: Lowering 35mm all round, tints, Tuning: Yet to do exhaust/remap/ egr delete etc..

3rd Gear

Status
    Yeah I will do.

I will ask my mate at Audi Norwich if he knows anything about it too.

3rd Gear

Status
    Went and had a look at it tonight.

Had a big scratch down the side, front door, rear door and wing, not deep but would need a spray.

Interior was ok, but not great, leather was not too bad, but some of the switchgear was worn as was the centre console surround.

Drove pretty well, but the tip gear felt very crunch going from P to N to Drive etc.
    Sure that is probably just the linkage needs greasing or something?
    The gearbox felt ok I think, a bit rubber bandy but think that is just typical of older autos, after living with the new BMW 8 speed and Mercedes 7 G tronic 'box going back to a design that is nearly 15 years old will always feel strange I guess?

Suspension felt pretty good.

Had the older RNS-D nav, which is a ball ache, would want to fit a Pioneer App radio and having that in there makes it a bit trickier.
    Not a selling point as far as I was concerned.

I reckon it was worth around £2700, £300 to sort scratch, £100 for climate panel, and another £100 to replace a couple of trim pieces.

She was not prepared to drop below £3200 which is just too rich I reckon. My mate picked up a 110k mile 2002 1.9tdi Quattro that was immaculate, and made this look a bit tatty, and he paid £2800 for it.
    Plus the 2.5 is no where near as bullet proof as the 1.9.

It was showing 26mpg on the DIS and she has never reset it.

3rd Gear

Status
    Any sign of auto gearbox problems & I'd be running away not walking away.

Status

My Social Networking

Unless you can get it for a price you're happy with then I guess it's all immaterial anyway.

26mpg is heavy even for an auto, but it's quite probably that the DIS isn't accurate.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldazzle View Post
    Any sign of auto gearbox problems & I'd be running away not walking away.
    I agree, but it pulled through the gears nicely, and seemed to change back down with no issues.
    The rubber band sort of feel I think is just older gearboxes, my old Merc was the same, as was my older 530i.

My main concern was the fact going from N to D felt a bit stiff, would this be a gear box issue as such or just the fact it may need greasing etc.?

1st Gear

Status
    Hijacked my thread cheers.

3rd Gear

Status
    I wouldn't consider a high mileage auto. i've rarely heard of manual gearbox problems on VAG forums, but that isn't the case with autos. Multitronic seems particularily prone to issues & very expensive to repair. IMO you'd be crazy to take any chances.

I agree, but it pulled through the gears nicely, and seemed to change back down with no issues.
    The rubber band sort of feel I think is just older gearboxes, my old Merc was the same, as was my older 530i.

My main concern was the fact going from N to D felt a bit stiff, would this be a gear box issue as such or just the fact it may need greasing etc.?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by troopa View Post
    Hijacked my thread cheers.
    I thought as you were also considering an older Audi posting here may have given some info you found useful too?

Status

My Social Networking

I thought as you were also considering an older Audi posting here may have given some info you found useful too?
    Seconded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast