Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI Problems! Please Help!

Dean Mancell

Reaction score
Hello i was hoping you wonderful people could help me, last night i went to sleep car running perfect and then this morning the car wont accept commands off the key fob, it will manually unlock but since i have the hazards have been randomly flashing in a non consistant way ever since and has not stopped, front doors unlock from the inside button but the back doors wont unlock what so ever and either will the boot. Also thw electric windows will not work but the electric wing mirrors will. Car starts but lights continue blinking randomly. Ive locked the car up and lights still randomly blinking and the key fob wont work what so ever still.

So im now inside my house with my car turned off and locked up randomly flashing at its self. I took the battery off and on but no effect, recent work was a new car battery but thats all. I hope you guys can help me because im stumped at how the car can decide that all this can go wrong over one night and really cannot afford to take it to a dealer at the minute. Thanks for any help as ive never experienced anything like this before, thanks Dean

Last edited:
A quick couple of things you could try, do the key reset, the procedure will be in your handbook although mine resets by putting key in drivers door, locking,unlocking then all works on key fob, also just put your hand under the passenger seat and check for a wet carpet, most erratic electrical problems stem from a wet convenience module which is located under the carpet under the passenger seat.

hi thanks for the reply, ill try the key reset and ive already checked the passenger footwell as when i changed the battery my draining bung was blocked and had abit of water building up.

Quick update, after disconnecting the battery again the hazards have stopped flashing, but key fob, electric windows, and interior lights are not working, cant unlock the back doors or boot either

Nevermind they have started again after messing with the fuses which the ones next to the drivers door are fine

Last edited:
has no one got any ideas? My next plan of action is to pull up the carpet in the passenger footwell just to %100 double check for water and to check the ecu box for water but to be honest these are just random checks, does anyone know what links all these problems together? Surely there has to be one problem and just not everything going wrong

It's deffo a water problem. Sounds like a nightmare!
I would check under the seats as mattyboyc said but also check the rear lights for water or coroded connections.
Do you have a sunroof? May be leaking.
I'd even check the horn for water as my old car horn filled with water once and made the car behave very strange.
Spray Wd40 in the locks also to disperse anything that might be there.

no sunroof on mine no, ive checked under the seat and theres no obvious signs of water but ill check the rear lights and have a look

might be worth checking the wiring in the doors too they are prone to breaking

one of mine earthed itself and sent the central convenience module in to a fit!! it wouldnt open any door with the fob alarm kept going off i had to fix the wires then remove the battery for a bit for it to reset

could be worth a check as I have had problems with power to my passenger door in the past

where would water leak into the passenger footwell? I have previously unblocked the drainage under the car battery but is there anyother source? thanks

where would water leak into the passenger footwell? I have previously unblocked the drainage under the car battery but is there anyother source? thanks

Generally comes when the drains are blocked, it'll come in through the pollen filter and fan, my friends A6 done that, there was lines of water on the passenger carpet thrown by the fan.. door seals all ok?, did it rain hard the night it started playing up??

the cars not working again this morning lovely, carpets been up all night with heavy rain, no signs of a leak but still the same eveything has failed again this morning. Could there still be moisture in the module or is it just likely faulty?

I would rule out an electrical fault in the wiring first

Its a common problem and its free to check

Like i said mine was earthing somewhere and the convenience module threw a fit

Stupid question, but where would you check?

I have a similar problem to Dean with my A4 1.9 Tdi. However, symptons slightly different. Car locked okay, but wouldn't unlock on the fob.

I use the key. Occasionally get Alarm hazards but no horn...

I had to manually unlock the fuel cap (top tip when putting the probe back in is to get somneone to help from the fuel cap area to grip it with their fingers). Otherwise, you will spend an age trying to slot it back in place.

Currently, if I open the boot I get the warning hazards, which cancel on the fob. Electric windows and lights all seem okay. I have been locking and unlocking the car manually (fuel cap cover is permanently unlocked). No sign of damp in the car under the passenger seat. Car is driving fine.

My guess (and it is a guess with no technical expertise) is that the central locking pump has gone. They can be picked up 2nd Hand but I have no idea how to go about changing it - and I am loathe to drop it into the shop as I have had a couple of bad experiences recently with the local garage.

Grateful for any ideas/ advice and hope that Dean also finds a solution.

the wireing to check is between the door and frame
drivers side pill the rubber boot door side check good tho as they break not snap
check the fat brown and the thin red they are the most common.

Thanks Bez101, I will check that tomorrow and report how I get on,

Thanks Bez101, I will check that tomorrow and report how I get on,

Hope you got on ok :)

Just to report Ive had my module apart and it unfortunately is not damp,and after further inspection I believe some of the transistors have failed as as soon as I heat them up the module fires back into life. Unfortunately I cant change them my self as Im not skilled enough so will have to get a new module.

My last questions for you guys are will I deffinately need the new module recoding even if its the same serial number? And also will i be able to reprogram my key fob to the new module (well second hand) with only one key as I dont have a spare? thanks Dean

Hello i was hoping you wonderful people could help me, last night i went to sleep car running perfect and then this morning the car wont accept commands off the key fob, it will manually unlock but since i have the hazards have been randomly flashing in a non consistant way ever since and has not stopped, front doors unlock from the inside button but the back doors wont unlock what so ever and either will the boot. Also thw electric windows will not work but the electric wing mirrors will. Car starts but lights continue blinking randomly. Ive locked the car up and lights still randomly blinking and the key fob wont work what so ever still.

So im now inside my house with my car turned off and locked up randomly flashing at its self. I took the battery off and on but no effect, recent work was a new car battery but thats all. I hope you guys can help me because im stumped at how the car can decide that all this can go wrong over one night and really cannot afford to take it to a dealer at the minute. Thanks for any help as ive never experienced anything like this before, thanks Dean
Hi wondered how you solved your problem, my key fib, windows, soft too and interior lights have stopped working too, nightmare as windows stuck open, also petrol flap lick shut.

Steph

Oops should has looked as spelling before pressing send...predictor text!