1 Din to 2 Din question

Mike.M

Reaction score
Well I have got all the parts.........2 din cage from TPS, Symphony 2 unit for now and trimmed my spare climate control unit I was selling but no one bought.......but will need to fine tune it once the transfer is made.

Is there any other trimming required to fit the cage so prepared? As hopefully not so that it is a reversible mod...........say coming to sell the car in the future (not any time soon but :) )

Cheers in advance.

If you send me your email addy i'll send you a pdf which shows the complete procedure, i bought a new double dinn console when i did mine as you are supposed to cut the original to house the climate unit, this would then show when you return the original units back in.

Few cuts and bruises but I won and fitted the double din kit and trimmed the climate control too......looks a lot nicer than the single din before, so very happy.

Just done mine also afta 2 weeks waiting for my kufatec wiring to come I made a cage from a b7 double din and my b6 cage realistically I should of brought one for my car from tps lol.. If you have part number let me have it please I may strip and replace correctly even though it's in at a later date... My other mods for August was front s4 brakes from a b6...

Yeah got the part number and will dig it out.......TPS charged me £36 +vat

Hardest parts were trimming the console and climate.....until it fitted right.

Oddly I have 2 spare bolts LOL and have no idea where they are from, but def removed from single din.......usually spot on with my mods, but these two bolts have confused me!

Edit: going through guide and just realised I did not bolt down the ash tray.....so these are my two left over bolts....out to the car again while i remember.

Last edited:
Thanks for that bud.. Yep there plenty of bolts to remove lol

I changed my centre console to one which had a double din symphony fitted so i wont need to trim will i? obviously ill need cage, may see if the lad i got my console off still has his lol, but i wouldnt mind this pdf if its kicking about :)

Hi All,

New the forum. Coming from UK-MKivs after having a Golf for many years. Recent brought a A4 Avant sport with GMBH kit due to a growing family.

Looking to do the double din conversion and have all the parts (I think) but a copy of the "How To" pdf would be great.

I have the PDF pm me your email address and I'll forward it on.

I changed my centre console to one which had a double din symphony fitted so i wont need to trim will i? obviously ill need cage, may see if the lad i got my console off still has his lol, but i wouldnt mind this pdf if its kicking about :)

You will need to trim down the AC unit or buy one for a double din.

Just done mine also afta 2 weeks waiting for my kufatec wiring to come I made a cage from a b7 double din and my b6 cage realistically I should of brought one for my car from tps lol.. If you have part number let me have it please I may strip and replace correctly even though it's in at a later date... My other mods for August was front s4 brakes from a b6...

why did you have to use a B7 Double and a B6 cage ?

Thanks guys.
I have all the parts, just trying to source a climate unit for a reasonable price. If not will just trim mine.

I'm also thinking of doing this mod so a PDF would be very helpful. Also how much rough cost. I have single din at present

Thanks mav

I'm also thinking of doing this mod so a PDF would be very helpful. Also how much rough cost. I have single din at present

Thanks mav

I'll send you the PDF tomorrow if you can pe your email address, as for cost it depends on how you want to go about it, if you were to go the way I went and replace all parts so the originals can be put back in on sale of the car you will need:

Double Dinn cage. £ 40 ish from dealer
double dinn console £60ish from dealer
double dinn climate unit £??, you could also just buy a single dinn one and shave the sides to fit you could even buy a knackard one, trim it to fit and then swap the front panel over with your working one. Then it all comes down to what system you want to install RNSE or aftermarket, if you go aftermarket I have a nice unit in the classifieds. ( shameless plug) hope this helps you a little.

Last edited:
Quick question, How did you trim the climate control unit?? I have it all fitted and the last thing to do is fit the Climate control but not sure the best way to attack it.

I just used a file m8 until it fitted you will need approx 1 mm from each side

I used a Stanley knife to trim the bulk off and then fine tune for a crisp edge

I only took about 1mm off for sure but it wasn't coming out in a hurry lol