Less Torque - Not in Limp!

SL11CKK

Reaction score
I have a problem with my AWX engine on the Audi A4. Just noticed recently that I am losing power - as in torque.

I remember before it used spin its wheel due to the massive torque, but now it doesnt seem to do this and seems like not enough power.

I plugged VCDS in and the MAF (actual) is much higher than than the specified which isn't normal; right? If I disconnect the plug to the MAF there seems to be no power @ all to the car.

Also when revving to the redline whilst on neutral it seems to be hessitant on the 4000rpm mark for about a fraction of a second - with a LOT OF BLACK SMOKE!

I've noticed the black hose going into the turbo seems to have quite a bit of soot on it aswell as the oil return pipe - Does that indicate something?

The car has power and DOES NOT go into Limp or anything like that, and showing NO errors

Should I require to give more information through VCDS let me know.

Just make sure its all sound with no splits anywhere, and no cracks in the intercooler
Do you mean the output from the compressor side, if the is a split hose somewhere you'll get black smoke, and you'll probably hear it hissing under acceleration.
Generally a MAF output will degrade, but it isn't unheard of for them to go high.
They do tend to degrade, giving a very gradual loss of performance.

check boost with vcds log it while driving then take a look when stopped

also check your syncro angle too if the timing belt is starting to age it can send the timing out enough to loose some torque mine was 3 degrees out and I noticed a big difference when I put a new belt on and set the syncro angle to 0 degrees

The syncro is bang in the middle as I changed the timing belt just below a year ago. Ive checked so with VCDS whilst doing this.

Also the hose going on top of the turbo actuator is good.

I can also see that one hose going into the oil cooler has a tiny bit oil on it considering I washed it couple weeks ago due to having too much soot surrounding it. Oil level and Water level is good though.

from memory it should spike at about 2.1 bar then settle to 1.9

it does tell you in VCDS

an actual airmass reading being higher than the specified. plus black smoke and down on power... smells of boost leak to me.

turbo is pulling in more air, but its getting out via the leak. meanwhile the ecu is putting more fuel in to go with the airmass reading causing the over-fueling and smoke. an oily boost pipe is probably the one leaking boost pressure out.

to register an underboost fault code it'd have to be a pretty big leak. a small leak would go un-noticed by the pressure sensor/ecu.

Just an update. Whilst I cleaned the soot on the turbo intake hose, I found a leak on the breather pipe. So I sealed it up temporary until new pipe comes and saw that the mpg went back to normal and pulls a bit better than before.

Plugged to see if MAF reading went back to normal however its still reporting higher than what the car expects.

Also I found that the hose that clips onto the plastic pipe where the MAP sensor plugs into has oil leak under where the hose clicks into. Seeing as oil is coming out, would that also indicate boost pressure is being lost too from the leak.

Im yet to pressure test it, just waiting for the tool to come through the post now.