Fuel Gauge Stop Working Resloved

starmix

V6 for the Noise
Reaction score
Ok i just share what happened to me cos it took some looking to see what the issue was.

I, like a tool was messing with my lights and stereo for a couple of days and drained my battery of course now my battery wont start my car. BTW A4 2.5 TDI running 100watt xenon's :no: and 2 amps, 3 subs plus the normal concert head unit and speakers with navi 1310, smartphone bluetooth and Fm transmitter the drain is high. (need a 100ah battery really)
Anyways back to the point in hand..... Battery didn't have enough power to start my car so after look for jump leads and not finding any and swearing at myself for not having such a stupid thing (ordered now) had to run a lead to car for battery charger.
So charged for 10 mins and boom engine starts great no checking everything and all looks well then i think ill go for a drive to give it a little charge up and petrol warning light come on and beeeeeep (***) I know i got a full tank so i check all the stupid stuff fuses etc... and all working fine so i :banghead:. Check forums and people go on about the fuel senders and what not making me think :crying: cant be bothered to pull that apart. so i did some more looking..
Came up with the answer and are as follows:-
  1. Disconnect battery for 30 secs then reconnect. (make sure u have HU code, could reset mind didn't but just to be safe)
  2. Auto open close on windows don't work to so hold the window switch so it closes and hold for 5 secs on each window. (can be done from driver controls)
  3. Key fob wont lock/unlock car..... Place key in ignition and turn just before engine starts position and hold the lock button on the key fob down for 5-10 secs and this resets the code in the key fob and now should work fine..

Now everything works again and im happy little chappy :jump:

Hope this helps other....

Done this a few times when unhooking the battery although the only way I could get fuel gauge to work was to put a little bit more petrol in doh

my Audi 2.5 TDI loves to tell me lies about my fuel level, When it gets down to the Red area, If i shut off the engine and leave it for a while, when i start up the car tells me its empty, so i put in £10 and then it goes up to a 1/4 of a tank and i know that £10 wont get me that much fuel,

Sounds like most Audi fuel gauges are liars mine does the same although my drive is on a slope so dependent on which way round I park it lies that I've got more or less than I actually have.