Speeding ticket arrived today - nice surprise

Unlucky fella, with the amount of speed camera's we have, and this attitude of zero tollerance - It's only a matter of time till we're all done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]

37MPH in a 30 limit - Gimps...

[/ QUOTE ]

Look on the bright side ................

I go to court on the 4th Aug.

113 on the M4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bub - not sure if this will ease the worry or make it worse :

I got done for 118 on the M11. I got a £250 fine and a 25 day ban which I reckon was very very fair. Times have changed a bit though as this was about 7 years ago (in a Mondeo 1.8LX !)

What I dislike about the court system is there are no hard and fast rules - you were caught doinf X so the punishment is Y. Leading up to my court date it was a case of guessing. There are guidelines, but it all comes down to the day.

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
Unlucky fella, with the amount of speed camera's we have, and this attitude of zero tollerance - It's only a matter of time till we're all done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean zero tolerance! 37 in a 30 means that his speedo was reading 40 or slightly more. Sorry but anyone doing that in a 30 deserves to be done.

I bet you'd be complaining if people were doing that speed down your street.

I stick to marked limits but use my judgement in national limits. If I get done on the open road then fair enough but I won't speed in towns.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean zero tolerance! 37 in a 30 means that his speedo was reading 40 or slightly more. Sorry but anyone doing that in a 30 deserves to be done.

I stick to marked limits but use my judgement in national limits. If I get done on the open road then fair enough but I won't speed in towns.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude- you have no idea of the actual road I presume? not all markings are correct imo.

There are countless 30mph designated wide straight roads in built up areas with designated pedestrian crossings etc on which 40 is perfectly safe, and even 50 is safe at 6am etc when its dead.

He was on a Axxx road so not even going down someones street as such /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You're right I don't know the road but there are plenty of A roads that go through towns and have appropriate 30 limits. I agree that that there are plenty of roads with inappropriate limits and the problem is getting worse.

Does he drive at 40 in every 30? Was he just not observant enough to spot the camera. The fact that he was on the phone means that he wasn't concentrating 100% on his driving. Doesn't matter if it's handsfree you're still distracted.

The bottom line is that if you drive above the speed limit (doesn't matter if it's safe or not) you will get done one of these days. Hopefully this country will revert to speed enforcement by people rather than camera which might give drivers a chance to explain the reasons for their speed.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

37MPH in a 30 limit - Gimps...

[/ QUOTE ]

Look on the bright side ................

I go to court on the 4th Aug.

113 on the M4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Be glad you live in England, in Scotland that speed equates to an automatic one year ban, £300 fine and a re-test. Anything over 100 on the dot is compulsory disqualification, irrespective of road conditions, traffic volume or if the wife was giving birth in the back and you were on your way to hospital.

The ****** of it all is that you have to go to the Sherriff's court local to where you were nicked and cannot get the venue changed, plus its a 'turn up and if we get time to see you we'll prosecute, if not come back' Result in my case, nicked in December 1996, convicted of dangerous driving October 1997 but allowed to 'drive dangeriously' for 10 months inbetween. T /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gifs!!

always stick to 30 in built up areas myself, but have been caught out in stafford area a/b roads with its sudden variance in speed limit

will be a 40, then drop to 30 suddenly on that road with a camera just behind it then back to 40 then 30 does my head in

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree in principal, national speed limit zones are where you use your judgement but in city's stick close to the limits and in built up residential be below. However I do have some sympathy as the A1058 in Newcastle has 30, 40 and 50 zones on it but is all dual carriageway and at early doors or 3am what's the point??. Is variable spped limits dependent on the time of day the way to go?? And aren't we driving cars that nowadays even taking into account our reaction times can stop way quicker than the Highway Codes estimations?? I know at 70 I can stop in half the distance quoted.

Common sense needs to prevail . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

It's all down to the magistrates unfortunately, if you're lucky you'll get a lay judge, i.e. a proper official rather than do gooder magistrates with too much time on their hands.
Speeding offences should not be handled by magistrates at all, there should be some other body who actually know something about driving, roads and safety.

Macduff, your comments, while perfectly true, are not helpful.
You can't make judgements like that when you don't know the facts. There are many dual carriageways in the UK with an unrealistic 30 limit, there are also many residential roads where the limit should be less than 30.
If there's a camera sited on such a road the likelihood is that it's there to make money. I have very rarely seen a camera sited where it's actually needed. The only way camera's provide any form of additional safety is if they are sited at suitable intervals all the way along the road in question, which is usually pretty impractical unless you go down the SPEC's route. Otherwise they actually increase the likelihood of an accident, or simply move the so called black spot further down the same road.

[ QUOTE ]
Bub - not sure if this will ease the worry or make it worse :

I got done for 118 on the M11. I got a £250 fine and a 25 day ban which I reckon was very very fair. Times have changed a bit though as this was about 7 years ago (in a Mondeo 1.8LX !)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Scotty - I'm just going to take this one one the chin, I'll go to court and do my best to get a result.

I pleaded not guilty in '97 to 111.2! ( I'll never forget that number) on the M1 - Got £250 fine and 14 day ban.

If I get close this time I'll be happy enough. At the end of the day I got caught /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The thing that really Fecks me off is all the extra dough my insurance are going to make out of me for the next few years - FOR FECKING NOTHING /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Just pleased it wasn't in SCOTLAND!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Now that really is OTT

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Macduff, your comments, while perfectly true, are not helpful.
You can't make judgements like that when you don't know the facts. There are many dual carriageways in the UK with an unrealistic 30 limit, there are also many residential roads where the limit should be less than 30.
If there's a camera sited on such a road the likelihood is that it's there to make money. I have very rarely seen a camera sited where it's actually needed. The only way camera's provide any form of additional safety is if they are sited at suitable intervals all the way along the road in question, which is usually pretty impractical unless you go down the SPEC's route. Otherwise they actually increase the likelihood of an accident, or simply move the so called black spot further down the same road.

[/ QUOTE ]

What other facts are there to know? He was doing 37 in a 30 which equates to about 40 on the speedo. Does matter if the limit is inappropriate or not.

I don't believe that cameras are the way to improve road safety. All they do is make people obsessed with their speed to the point that they don't watch the road.

The only real way to improve road safety is by training and regular realistic testing. Giving a 17 year old a license that lasts until 70 with no intermediate checks is crazy. At a minimum there should be re-tests every 10 years and compulsory eye tests every couple of years. There should also be encouragement (such as reduced test fees) for taking additional training like IAM or RoSPA. At least with something like that you might have a hope of getting some of the useless drivers off the road.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Macduff - with respect I seen the camera which was at the start of a dual carridgeway - If you had seen the road I bet you would also have thought it was more than a 30mph limit as I did - I have no points and never had had any until now. I can only presume you are the same ? I also happened to look at my speed as I approached the camera and it was reading just over 35mph - My gps system was reading 33mph. The road has a 30MPH sign 1/2 a mile away and I joined futhur up the road where no sign is present until after the camer, this I know as I went back and looked as I was not from the area. I presumed the road was at least a 40mph as it was on a "up hill dual carridgeway" Please dont judge until the know the facts.

[ QUOTE ]
Macduff - with respect I seen the camera which was at the start of a dual carridgeway - If you had seen the road I bet you would also have thought it was more than a 30mph limit as I did - I have no points and never had had any until now. I can only presume you are the same ? I also happened to look at my speed as I approached the camera and it was reading just over 35mph - My gps system was reading 33mph. The road has a 30MPH sign 1/2 a mile away and I joined futhur up the road where no sign is present until after the camer, this I know as I went back and looked as I was not from the area. I presumed the road was at least a 40mph as it was on a "up hill dual carridgeway" Please dont judge until the know the facts.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there really were no signs warning you of the limit then you should fight the conviction. Plenty of people have fought and won.

I did have a clean license until 3 years ago when I was done by a camera van that was hidden behind a ridge with long grass. There were no warning signs but I accept the conviction as I was doing 76 in a 60. Although if I'd been pulled over by a traffic car I may just have received a warning.

I think it's inconsistent to say that you should stick to the limit in towns but use your judgement on motorways. Especially if you've just criticised someone elses judgement without even knowing anything more than that it was a 30mph limit. I drive to and from work every weekday through a short 30mph zone where it's so rare to find anyone at all doing 30mph that I can hardly ever remember it happening. This shows that almost all drivers will not stick to a speed limit if it is deemed to be ridiculous. I have been reading lately that some speed cameras have been recording incorrect speeds, this might explain why smudge got clocked at 37, however I've noticed that the needle lags slightly when accelerating so that could explain it too.