Pinking

jolly14

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me what causes pinking my 1.8t 163 does this and would like to know if this will do any damage & what i can do to sort it out.

Thanks Jay

Definition of "pinking": This is the pinging or rattling noise sometimes heard during acceleration that indicates detonation is occurring inside the engine (See Detonation). Spark knock can be caused by a variety of things including using low octane fuel, over-advanced ignition timing, too much compression (often due to a buildup of carbon in the combustion chamber), by an inoperative EGR valve, and/or by too much heat. If switching to a higher octane fuel doesn't cure the problem, the cause should be investigated because prolonged or heavy knocking will damage the engine.
I would suggest you try some Shell V Power or similar high octane fuel to see if that helps first. Then maybe take it someone who can plug the car into a diagnostic computer to see if there are any faults.
I know of quite a few modified Jap import cars (all Japanese fuel is 100 octane) that have holed pistons because of crap quality, cheap British fuel.

Greeny233, my car is run on regular unleaded and does pink when pulling at low revs so do you think the fuel would be the best thing to try and how soon would i notice if it was that, i have often wondered why my dad's 2.0 fsi needs to run on super and my turbo just runs on normal.

Many thanks Jay

Pinking on 1.8T VAG engines is very rare. I'd check that you have the correct spark plugs fitted & gapped to spec. If all looks ok then get some diagnostics to check for any fault codes.
You need to get to the bottom of it because pinking/detonation can cause a lot of internal damage.

Thanks for your info guys i'll try and get a diagnostic check done on it, but does it have to be vagcom as i only know audi and i will not pay there ransom for it but i will get the plugs done, what plugs should i get.

Cheers Jay

As everyone else has said "pinking" especially on a high performance turbo engine can be extremely damaging so you need to get it checked out ASAP.
If it is the fuel it should clear up reasonably quickly depending on how much you have to put in. Even if it does stop, there may be another underlying problem as most 1.8 turbo engines should not pink even running on normal unleaded as manufacturers take into account poor quality fuel.

Thanks for your info guys i'll try and get a diagnostic check done on it, but does it have to be vagcom as i only know audi and i will not pay there ransom for it but i will get the plugs done, what plugs should i get.

Cheers Jay

If you have a laptop running windows buy a OBDII cable on eBay (£15ish) & download the free shareware VCDS Lite from the Ross Tech site. You then have your own diagnostics.
I always used NGK platinum plugs on 1.8T VAG cars.

Ecu, has built in knock control, therefore it shouldn't knock. Ecu , when it detects knock reduced timing until knock stops, you can measure the CF with vagcom to see how much pull is being done at any point. Only way you should get kknock is if a sensor is faulty or you've had a bad remap where CF is more than 12 and no more timing is pulled and knock will happen. There is quite a bit of tolerance in the CF , so it's really hard to induce knock unless your timing is widely out. Fuel will help lower knock but there should be enough to compensate for crap fuel.

Ecu, has built in knock control, therefore it shouldn't knock. Ecu , when it detects knock reduced timing until knock stops, you can measure the CF with vagcom to see how much pull is being done at any point. Only way you should get kknock is if a sensor is faulty or you've had a bad remap where CF is more than 12 and no more timing is pulled and knock will happen. There is quite a bit of tolerance in the CF , so it's really hard to induce knock unless your timing is widely out. Fuel will help lower knock but there should be enough to compensate for crap fuel.

I don't think my car has been mapped (wish it was) i'll get a friend to do a diagnostic (not vagcom but a snap on 1) and see if it shows any faults in the mean time i'll put some optimax in it and see what happens. ps i dont really understand what cf is but thanks anyway lol

Thanks Jay

If you have a laptop running windows buy a OBDII cable on eBay (£15ish) & download the free shareware VCDS Lite from the Ross Tech site. You then have your own diagnostics.
I always used NGK platinum plugs on 1.8T VAG cars.

I have 1 of these cables but dont really know how they work as i'm not that technology minded i just end up hitting things with a hammer :keule:and i'll try new plugs though.

Cheers Jay

I think i may have stopped the pinking with some of your advice i have been using super unleaded but not from the super markets and this seems to have sorted it.

Many thank lads..........Jay

cheap fuel has a lot to answer for and as the prices go up the quality goes down.