Intermittent none starter!

stu_m

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have a 2002 1.9tdi and every now and then when you turn the key there is nothing

all the lights come on as usual but when you go to start there is nothing at all not even a click!

any ideas? I was thinking starter solenoid or something

Thanks for the reply

I can rule out the battery for a start as I know this is fine

I cant see it been the immobiliser to be honest as it would start then die thats how the immobiliser works on these but stranger things have happened

I've had solenoid problems before on a bike and it acts exactly the same so I'm 90% sure it will be that

so where the hell is it? any ideas? I will check it out first as it could just be a bad connection which I very much doubt

No idea on a 2002 TDi. If it was a petrol AUM I am your man as I have had plenty of starters off a Mk4 golf !

I hope you get it sorted and started if you can excuse the pun

I have just read that it maybe next to the ECU I will check my haynes book of lies and see what that says

also read that it can throw up a code when the solenoid is loose or failing so will do a scan too

ps The car still starts just every now and then it is just dead!

Can't see it being next to the ecu. Starters are always next to the flywheel. I would be looking down the right hand side of the engine near the gearbox. You may have to remove it from underneath the car

Yep sounds like the starter motor, my old B5 1.9tdi had the same fault. If I kept the key turned it would go after about 5 seconds but it got worse and worse. It was more of a problem in winter for some reason.

The cold makes the grease go sludgy and hangs up the solenoid piston. The other fault is that it engages and turns the car over, but then stays engaged and the flywheel then spins it at high speed and throws it out. Sounds awful when it happens but all too common on a car of this vintage. Just ask any mk4 golf owner.

You can strip the motor down and regrease if your handy and want to save a few quid. Most just rip it off and get a recon unit.

Can't see it being next to the ecu. Starters are always next to the flywheel. I would be looking down the right hand side of the engine near the gearbox. You may have to remove it from underneath the car

I read somewhere that there is a starter relay near the ECU that can work loose and cause the same problem how true it is I don't know and whether its for a petrol or diesel!

I will do some poking about and also remove the starter and give that a bit of a bash

I scanned it last night it came up with nothing

GOT A 2004 2.5TDI WITH THE SAME PROBLEM AHD IT SCANNED NO PROBS FOUND..PROBLEM NOT ALWAYS THERE SO I AM GOING TO RUN THE CAR TOMORROW TILL THE NON START HAPPENS AND THEN I WILL CHECK THE FEED TO THE STARTER MOTOR ..WILL REPORT BACK WITH FINDINGS.....

I was on it today funny enough

It's the starter solenoid it keeps sticking so I'm going to get another starter for mine

I figured it out by chance it wouldn't do it when trying to test then jumped in the cap with the window down and you could hear the starter click on each try

I was on it today funny enough

It's the starter solenoid it keeps sticking so I'm going to get another starter for mine

I figured it out by chance it wouldn't do it when trying to test then jumped in the cap with the window down and you could hear the starter click on each try

It's the solenoid that's clicking so it's probably ok. Sounds to me like the starter motor is goosed.

I will be changing the starter it only ever seems to happen to me its never happened to the missus and she uses the car more then me!!

when it totally packs up and she has to get recovery I will buy one lol

If the solenoid it gubbed then you would get a 'click' sound - if teh brushes in the starter itself are worn out - it wont even click. But wither way - it will be drawing current in the start position, therefore the ignition lights would dim when you turn the key fully... Is this the case?

If not, then its not the starter.

hi my 2004 2.5 tdi automatic a4 was a non starter today after we had done a 2 mile journey. did notice this time that when i turned the key to the start position and the engine did not crank the footbrake light near the gearstick was not lit.....when i tried to start the car 4 hrs later the light was on and the car started ...could this be a immobiliser problem or a neutral position sensor problem any ideas

It's not the immobilizer as it would start and then die

HI EVERYONE
LOCATED PROBLEM TODAY RELAY LOCATED IN THE ECU BOX UNDER THE SCUTTLE PANEL DRIVERS SIDE HAD SOME SIGNS OF HEAT DAMAGE ...THIS RELAY HAS A FEED FROM THE STARTER SWITCH AND ALSO GIVES A PICK UP TO THE GEARBOX INHIBITOR SWITCH COST £12......THANKS FOR YOUR HELP