What to buy?

Jason Dodd

Reaction score
Hey all I'm looking for some advice on what version of A4 I should buy :/ it's all so confusing and I've been looking for weeks and still can't make my mind up lol.

My choices:
1.9l TDi 2000 onwards 100k or there abouts
2.0 Turbo petrol 2000 onwards with 87k +

Now someone's said the diesel would be expensive on repair costs compared to the petrol but has better fuel consumption and more reliable?

I have £3k cash to spend or may go down the finance route on a better deal if I can find on, my insurance is practically no problem for me as a 1st time driver £807 f/c

Im not going to be doing much short journey mileage atal, and currently will do no more than 100 miles per week if that. Will soon be making 1-2 600 mile trips back home motorway mileage.

Really unsure what to pick any advice?

Agree with CMD, you should get a 1.9 TDI

Tdi 130 all day.......love my sport and with a remap would take it to 170ish bhp

tdi for me too realy strong engines as for costs iv found it to be the same in parts

The real difference is buying price. 2.0 petrol saloons can be found at the lowest end of the B6 price range in the sub-£2k region. TDI's are more towards £3k and avants of either type have another premium put on them (this all based on the lowest end of the market). Then things like Quattro and various trim types add onto that.

The TDI is the obvious choice, but if you were correct about Turbo (which would be a 1.8T) then the discussion wouldn't be so clear cut, especially depending on your requirements.

As everyone else above has written, 1.9TDI. Unless it's the 1.8T as mentioned, then it's a whole lot closer :) I have recently been contemplating selling my 1.9tdi for the 1.8T. I doubt i'll actually ever get round to do it, but the 1.8T petrol does appeal.

crazy 88, i nearly went the other way, im thinking of selling the 1.8t to buy a diesel, u interested

There was no 2.0 turbo for 2000 (B5 / B6), so it's presumably a 2.0FSI (i.e. not the 1.8T).

If it's a 1.8T versus a 1.9TDI, then there might be a debate on around your annual mileage, driving preferences, etc....

If it's a 2.0FSI, then it's a no brainer: TDI all the way, especially if you'll be doing a few long motorway hauls, the 1.9TDI engine is very tractable and cruises VERY nicely on the motorway.... plus the fact that it's a TDI, it overcomes the weight of the B6 quite nicely.

Try to get the TDI130 if you can, rather than the 100-110bhp flavours... even if it's one of the lower spec TDI's, I'd still go for that.

Regarding the mileage: a 1.9TDI on >100k is a smaller proportion of it's way through it's expected lifespan than a 2.oFSI on 87k ;)

Last edited: