Dual Temperature Sensor help

bigslippy

Reaction score
Hi guys , I have a 2003 A4 1.9 tdi quattro, temp gauge hasn't worked for a couple of years and I had heard that if the temp
sensor isn't working , the ECU still thinks the engine is running cold and uses more fuel?

Is this the case as round town driving I get mid to high 30's , when I go on a journey I get mid 40's.... I wouldve thought 50+ would be easily achievable.

However , I've now discovered the part I need is called a dual temp sender .... does mean that 1 part tells the temp gauge what the temp is and the other part tells the ECU?

Hope this makes sense to somebody
laughing.gif

Any thoughts/wisdom welcomed
thumb.gif

To be honest after a few people on here with 1.9 Q say they only get mid 30's and there's a few fwd only doing mid to high 30's.. My fwd comes in as average around 42-45 mpg but if I do 550 miles then 400-410 will be dual Carriageway to work @ around 65-70 mph...on a very long journey it will creap to a near 50 driven carefully.. The temp sensor will work in a few ways but they all do.. Should just be a simple change over

Just get your temp gauge fixed, usually only the thermostat or coolant temp sensor.

Temp sensor failure is one of the most common failures on VAG cars.
Yes the CTS has 2 outputs 1 to the gauge & 1 to the ECU. If the ECU is getting incorrect reading from the CTS it won't fuel correctly. Make sure you get a genuine VAG replacement (£25ish) Aftermarket CTS's are notorious for failing.