1.9TDI Cranks but wont start up.

matttrs

Reaction score
Hope someone can help, I was driving along normally the other night and the car died, I thought it went into limp, but then I had nothing, not turning over at all, so I pulled over to the hard shoulder and tried to start, it cranked perfectly well but no fire up So I called the RAC. They sent out a recovery truck, they thought I might just be out of diesel as it was on red and saying 30miles left. We put some in at a nearby station, but still didn't start. they did a few checks, the fuel is getting through, everything appears to be working as it should but it wont start. The RAC guy tried to start it so much that the battery has now died, but that another problem.
He ran a vagcom and it threw up no error codes.
I'm thinking possibly the fuel pump relay may be gone. any other ideas?
the other thing I thought it may be is the immobiliser,
any ideas are much appreciated.

it wont be the immobiliser as it would start and then die after a second or two and you get a flashing orange car with a key on it on the dash

have you checked the anti shudder valve is not stuck shut on the inlet near the egr? this would stop air getting in to the cylinders

I haven't checked that, ill have a look. I changed the relay it wasn't that.
Thanks I'll have look.

The valve was open as it should be and working. ******
stuck for ideas now.

get it scanned for codes by vw m8y there equipment may not talk correctly have seen this before it could be somethink like crank sensor.. or if you did run out of fuel as mine with 30 miles left is seriously low it may take a fair bit of cranking to fire up.. only other option which i wouldnt advise is a sniff of easy start to see if it fires up m8...

how do you/rac know fuel is getting thru?

I had 1 before in work, all the relays wher covered in water and badly corroded,

If it did run out of fuel, its maybe airlocked around the tandem fuel pump on the end of the camshaft. I had this a short time ago after a fuel filter change. Theyr'e self bleeding to a degree, it took a bit of fiddling removing hoses and pumping fuel through, and a fair bit of cranking to get it going again.... just a thought.

Am I correct anyone in thinking that after everything says you are out of fuel, the car will introduce an electronic misfire to make you take notice and refuel, I know the V8 A8's do it, just wondered if the 1.9's do..

Hello mate i know its not the same engine but i recently had a mk4 golf gttdi with same issue, i changed alot of parts and it turned out to be down to a relay and some burnt wiring, so your best bet is an auto electrician

Hi There,

Have the very same issue with my A4 1.9tdi.
Cranks perfectly but wont start.
Literally parked the car over the break, when I went to start it, no joy.
No errors showing up either.

I am interested to see what fixed yours...

Cheers...

You need to make sure the in tank pump is working. You can usually hear it when you turn the ignition on it will prime the system for 3-4 seconds then turn off.
If you remove the pipe from the fuel filter under the bonnet you should get a squirt of fuel from this when the ignition is turned on. On my Passat I had an issue with the Relay that provides power to the ECU, this has a secondary contact that provides power to the relay for the fuel pump. Not sure if it's the same in the Audi but I wouldn't be suprised if it was.
When they have been run completely dry they can be a bit of a pig to get going and may take a few minutes cranking.I had the car beeping at me several times.

Karl.