50mph blow-out... while towing!

Reaction score
The scariest thing: you could scarcely tell it had happened!!!

Went across some ropey tarmac... car felt "funny", like I might have lost some tyre pressure but there were so many bumps and bobbles on that stretch of road that I didn't get a straight stretch for a couple of miles.... car seemed to be tracking fine, but definitely didn't feel right in the corners... it was a 30mph zone and I was about a mile from the destination, so I carried on, but at the other end, was greeted with this:

No accident, so nobody hurt, so I'm just grateful!

If anybody could recommend a good tyre that is NON-directional, I'd appreciate it: I've got lucky on this one, it was on the right way, but I've decided that there's no point in putting directional tyres on your spare alloy...

edit: and a huge **thumbs-up** for the rim protectors... the tyre is trashed, but the rims look okay (I guess they might be dented, but definitely not shredded!)...

Last edited:
I'd checked them about an hour before: 36psi all-round, towing but with a VERY light trailer (must be <150kgs total: even fully loaded, I can lift one wheel 6" off the ground) and with fairly low (20-25kg-ish) nose-weight: I know that's below the 25-40kg recommended, but the trailer is so light, I struggle to get 40kg's of nose-weight.... it's evenly distributed and there is some nose-weight.

And no, it was not too heavily loaded inside the car: 2 adults + toddler, couple of cushions and a sleeping bag on the back seat and about 40kg's of luggage in the boot... suspension still looked very level and there was no real side-wall deformation, so pretty sure it wasn't loaded heavily enough to warrant bumping the pressure up.

I'd agree on Toyo quality: I've had T1-S's and T1-R's on all my previous cars and never had a problem at all - I'm guessing that I just clipped the inside edge of the tyre with a sharp lump in the tarmac: the tyre looked fine 1hr before: it it 3yrs old, has some wear and I've done approx* 10-12k miles on them...

*approx because I switch tyres in summer/winter.

Last edited:
just goes to show you that you should get your tyres looked at more often,

not much more I could have done, tyres were off the car at the beginning of April (when I changed the winters over to summer)... they were visually inspected (on the car) before we left on Saturday... and I'd re-checked the tyre pressures (all 35-36psi) only an hour beforehand...

£120 from camskill: Toyo Proxes C1S - looks to be pretty uni-directional (is that the right word)... should do as a spare :)

Last edited: