Coolant temperature gauge

Eric_funk

Reaction score
Hi all

2002 B6 1.8t

Hope someone can help, my coolant gauge is erratic, sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, always goes to 90 degrees when working though, I've replaced the coolant temp sensor with a genuine Audi one, and the heater works ok.

I'm noticing that the radiator fans come on from a cold start in the morning and it has on occasion cranked a while before starting, could it be the thermostat?

Thanks for any help given, am loving the car and just a few things to sort out (front pads, front and rear subframe bushes)

Cheers

Derek

If the fans are on it could be because your aircon is on. If its not on then possibly a faulty fan switch.

id say its your temp sensor m8 easy and cheap fix....

if your fans are on in the morning when its cold etc it could be a fan switch. I have a fault temp gauge, the actual gauge can be at fault.

Cheers guys, good tips, I'll pick up a fan switch and yeah Bowen I suppose it could be the gauge, I'll check that out too, thanks again

i know mine is the gauge ia vagcom, however it was pretty obvious it was the gauge as it would sit at 90 with the engine off and other odd signs.

Replace the temp sensor with a OEM part no cheap ebay ****. I actually think i have a spare OEM one, let me know if you want it.

With the fans going, on and off at cold start I would imagine that the fan switch has had it. £440 iirc at the dealer?

Wont be the stat if the heaters OK and I would expect a switch to fail in the off position.Why not disconnect the switch and see if the fan stops?Seems like a faulty guage to me

Thanks guys, if you mean the coolant temp sensor Bowen then I've replaced it with a genuine one, so I had the car scanned today using vag-com and it's throwing up 17704 - error in mapped cooling system, check temp sensor and thermostat

P1296 - 008 - implausible signal

Any ideas what this might be?

Ill also try the fan switch thing Mike B, thanks

the heaters are hot and stay hot? even stationary in traffic?

Good point, ill do a full test tomorrow to find out, I forgot to mention that the engine managment light is on also, I'll keep this updated

Thanks Bowen

Heater is fine and hot even in stationary traffic, is it not the thermostat then?

Cheers guys

Just an update, i read the codes again today with the engine on and the fan was running (from cold) and then cleared them, once i cleared the codes (DTC's) the fan stopped running (it will switch off anyway after a while) hmmm

Also got this code from Vag-com today, could this mean my gauge is faulty?

01317 - Control Module in Instrument Cluster (J285)
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

Cheers