2004 1.8t (190 bhp) Average MPG

Bean5

D5_SNS
Reaction score
hi guys,

was driving down the A41 from market drayton to stafford yesterday and noticed my miles per gallon was creeping up. i expected a small increase as i was driving at a steady speed with no stop starts for a good 20 mins, but was amazed when it eventually reached 40MPG!!!

what do you guys get out of yours?? also im tempted to go for a remap, what sort of MPG could i expect to see from that?

Last edited by a moderator:
best ive seen out of my 1.8t(190) quattro avant is 32mpg doing a steady 80 on the M62.

I usally get around 25 day to day but i only have to drive 3 miles to work.

yeh im the same! no more than 25-8 in the week just goin up the road to work

I still get that even with the mod's

You won't average 40 mpg out of a 1.8t..... it's just not happening ....sorry..... you'l get it for small amounts of time going downhill cruising at 50 etc but not as an overall average and certainly not in an A4.... the 1.8t is quite thirsty.... what i do find though is it can still give high 20's even when being thrashed

That wont be acurate at all. Sorry.

Best I have got is 35mpg and I doubt that. In order to get that I had the cdplayer off, no aircon, weight reduced etc etc. Like a top gear challenge

well the proof is in the pudding lol, its good enough for me ;~)

Yes but does the figure include the start and end of the journey?

Anybody can just reset the mpg figures on the motorway to get a headline figure.

I've seen an average of 96mpg on my DIS but I know I will never get that!

that was down hill doing 40 with cruise on

then the average came back down on flat ground!

lets have a look at the long term memory on your DIS ;)

I have a 163 cab and managed to average 39.9 on a run to Twickenham and back from SE Kent

bean5 have you got 18's on the car now just wondering if the wheels are making your dis a bit more mpg and a not so accurate as the set up of 17's(or std set up)........ surely this makes a difference..... when i ran my standard cupra 170bhp i used to get around 33 using tank to tank method and that was also lot of dual carriageway driving

I have a 163 1.8T Quattro and managed a calculated 41.2mpg over a whole tank - all motorway driving (apart from a few miles at each end). Boring though! And during that time DIS read 44mpg iirc so a bit out.

good point mark but i have 19"s on instead of the standard 18"s i presume it cam from factory with. its no biggy tbh i was just curious, i only do 5~6k a year anyway so not like i spend a fortune on BIG miles lol

thanks anyway chaps :)

I average 320 miles from a full tank of optimax, Which is around 22-23 mpg... some motorway but mostly city driving. The max i have ever achieved is 415 miles from a tank, which was all non stop motorway driving not exceeding 75mph and not leaving 6th gear. . Apparently Quattro doesn't help with economy.

I average 320 miles from a full tank of optimax, Which is around 22-23 mpg... some motorway but mostly city driving. The max i have ever achieved is 415 miles from a tank, which was all non stop motorway driving not exceeding 75mph and not leaving 6th gear. . Apparently Quattro doesn't help with economy.

Crikey! You might as well get an S4!

I haven't used that car for a while now, its been sleeping in the garage. I have a BMW 335i coupe now and even that can manage 28mpg on the motorway!!

My 3.0 v6 quattro easily averages 32mpg on a straight motorway run with cruise set at 75, not as thirsty as some think

I get average of 27 mpg out of my 3.0 avant on my 22 mile commute to work !