FailIng turbo?

Santigu89

Reaction score
am new to the thread and I drive an 02 A4 Quattro 5 speed.During a cold start and only during thEn I get this whining sound that's is embarrassing and its very noticable.It last for about 30 secnds them cuts off. Then probably after 2 mins later it cuts back on for 5 seconds and doesn't resume. I suspect it's my turbo but I'm not 100% positive but I am starting to get the screeching sound when I accelerate which sounds it would be my turbo. Anyone have suggestions on what it could be or how I can check for a failing turbo? I know how to look for a boost leak with an air compressor but I don't have one available to me .
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !

Mods
nespeed cat back exhaust
neuspeed short shifter
neuspeed 2" springs
neuspeed rear sway bar
AFE stage 2 cold air intake
SPEC stage 2+ clutch
TWM 415g weighted shift knob

It's hard to say without hearing it

Could it be any of the auxiliary belts?

As Stu_m said really need to hear it, I've had 2 turbo failures in the lats year first on a vectra cdti there was a slight siren sound then tue turbo blew completely wrecking the compressor wheel and wrecking the intercooler, Second was the other week on my a4 1.9tdi was a siren sound then the siren sound turned into as some people desctribe as a owl hooting followed by total loss of power and tonnes of blue smoke. Pics below is off the vectra cdti luckily got away with just changing turbo,intercooler & cleaning all hoses.
IMG_0073.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds more of a howling and siren sound ut only during a cold start. When i acclerate on the road i dont hear anything. Maybe a possible vacum leak somewhere I also narrowed it down this moring and I does not come from any of the belts.