Clattering Noise!

Funkyfin2000

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
Hi guys,

If you read one of my other posts a while back I was having a clattering/banging noise on start up from my Audi A4 1.9tdi 2004 Quattro....Only happened occasionally on start up and slowly its got worse.

It now happens really when in gear, under very low revs and low speed.....The noise a loud clattering/tapping/banging noise....

I have a suspicion this is probably the DMF, but how would it make such a noise?

Any ideas for this?

Cheers, I know it's a long shot!

Rich

possilbe has it had the correct oil changes etc does it sound like the bottom end going, unlikley but just go single mass if it is the dmf

Its possible that it could be pas pump .... or AC pump but possibly more than likely its your oap there really common for going.
Regards

ive had a similar problem and posted in other threads of similar discriptions and my problem is now 100% solved !
it turned out to be the air conditioning pulley
heres what you need to do to test it,
start the car for maybe 30 seconds just to check the noise is there but dont let it warm up !
then,remove the belt which goes around all the pulley's at the front of the car (christ knows what its called im not a mechanic)
start the car (BUT ONLY FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES!!!!!!), if the noise is gone then your half way there
now, the air-con pulley if i remember correctly is (as you stand infront of your car) the one to the right hand side right down at the botttom.
with the engine off,, rotate this wheel by hand bock clockwise and anty clockwise say 5mm in each direction as fast as you can, and also try rattling it on its axis ?
as soon as we did this we knew we had the problem nailed,
changed the pulley, slipped the belt back on and bobs your mothers brother,,,, problem solved !

good luck with it matey !

Ive had the common alternator pulley changed when I had the car 2 years ago in Nov....can't see it being that again..... is that the same thing????

Is this the air con one different presumably do?

Its making the noise on Idle as well, just clatters quite regularly when idling! Annoying!

pm leaky lloyd m8 as he fixed his for cheap im sure it was only around £30 quid fix to reasemble the clutch and this would save the expensive new compressor

sorry to resurrect and oldie but here to help!

I had a clattering in mine like that and was told it was the air con, but refused to believe it.

I had a new belt on already as had that changed at the cambelt, so, changed the air con pulley and that helped a little (my buffer bushes were fine, slight play with bearing with some improvement in noise), then replaced the tensioner as it was bouncing (that helped a little too), then changed the alternator pulley for good will (no difference) and finally got to the main culprit......the idler pulley, changed that and silence!

That idler pulley had loads of play in the bearing as guess 10 years or the 65k miles my car has got the better of it, but it only made real noise when the air con was on and at idle......turn air con off and the noise went, so gess the extra strain showed up its weakness.

As usual for me, it was the last thing to change LOL, but all sounds healthy again but think it all needed to be done anyway due to the age of the car

wow, triggers broom comes to mind!! I haven't done it yet so will check out that idler, the a/c pulley is slack though. top tip thanks